Sign in to follow this  

bike locked up then unlocked

ok, so my bike just died on me while riding and when i tried to kick it the motor was locked (so i thought). tonight i pulled the spark plug out, took the right side crank case cover off along with the clutches and tried spinning the fly wheel from the left side with a socket. it spun fine and the piston, cams, and crank all worked fine. bike was in time and seems fine now but i dont know why it wouldve died and locked up if it seems to be perfect now. i dont really want to start the bike up until i figure out what couldve killed it out and locked it at the moment.... been told the floats couldve got stuck and filled the head with gas causing the piston to jam and that i fixed it by removing the spark plug and turning the motor over. anyone heard of that?

No, that is not possible if the bike died while riding it. More likely that you stalled it and the auto decomp came to rest in a position that jammed up the motor. Not a serious situation, and it would have been corrected by placing the bike in gear and trying to roll it backward. I have seen this several times on several different Yamaha's, and I believe that it was common enough that I saw several posts on TT about this very situation. Hope this helps,

Josh

the bike was running perfect then it just started bogging and died like i had the gas off or ran out so i checked the gas then started the bike back up and the second time i let it sit there in neutral idleing and it all of a sudden just died. thats when it locked up

This same thing happend to my bike about 2 weeks ago. I pulled off the head, clyinder, clutch, & flywheel cover. After hours of inspection I put the bike together & it ran great. I bet Josh is right & it was the deco valve.

im gonna put the bike back together in the morning and start it up. hopefully it doesnt grenade on me lol

My WR450 does this occationally on me. Only happens when it stalls with the rpm's low. As others said, just put it in gear and rock it backwards.

My 03 locked up on me, I rolled it backwards and unlocked it. turns out the culprit was a 3rd gear tooth wedged between the flywheel and stator. After unlocking, I rode it 1 lap before I heard the tranny noises and pulled off.

so was it the decom valve.... i have the same problem and dont want to start it till i find something out.... i have the bike apart in the house to work on it

well i got it together and rode it today. it died again and locked and i put it in gear and rolled it backwards and it unlocked. the bike will run fine as long as im on the gas but if i let it sit and idle it goes dead and locks and i have to roll it backwards. does anyone think it could be my rod bearings or crank bearings wearing out and jamming?

yea my bike is the same way.... after i unlocked it i started it and it did it again... so i'm thinking it just might keep doing it....so i think i just need to go ahead and take the motor apart and inspect it.......

My sons 02 did that last week, I could kick it over fine and it would start and run but no idle, once in a while got a hard spot in it while kicking it over. Turns out the big end on the rod is shot, time for a new crank.