Sign in to follow this  

Troubleshooting Headlight problem, need help

Ok first off, I am no electrician so I am kind of lost as to where to begin. The problem is my headlights will not turn on at all. I have a acherbis Cyclopse headlight and it worked for over 2 years until one day they stopped working. I checked continuity of the headlights themselves and everything is ok. And when I traced the wires from the bar mounted switch it looks as though they go straight from the bars to the lights, I do not see any relays or fuses. Is there a fuse I am not seeing or a relay I should test? I have just been getting back to riding again after beeing injured for about a year and a half and this is frustrating not being able to ride🤣. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 👍

Edit: I have an '07 SM

Healight wires go all over the freakin' place. See attached.

drz400s-sm.05on.jpg

Ok first off, I am no electrician so I am kind of lost as to where to begin. The problem is my headlights will not turn on at all. I have a acherbis Cyclopse headlight and it worked for over 2 years until one day they stopped working. I checked continuity of the headlights themselves and everything is ok. And when I traced the wires from the bar mounted switch it looks as though they go straight from the bars to the lights, I do not see any relays or fuses. Is there a fuse I am not seeing or a relay I should test? I have just been getting back to riding again after beeing injured for about a year and a half and this is frustrating not being able to ride 🙂. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 👍

Edit: I have an '07 SM

Sorry to hear about your light issue Chris... :applause:

Now get this fixed so you can ride with us again🤣

Sorry to hear about your light issue Chris...🤣

Now get this fixed so you can ride with us again 👍

I am really hoping I can get this fixed asap. I am totally lost when it comes to tracking down electrical problems and don't feel like spending over $100 for a shop to tell me its a $2 relay or fuse

No relay, no fuses in the headlight circuit. The only fuse is back by the battery and is a main power fuse. It is possible a relay and fuse was added with the headlight mod so check for that. But none in the original circuit.

Check to see the headlight is grounded.

Power comes from bat to ign switch, then to the kill switch, then start button then to the HI/LO switch then to the headlights. Check that the start button returns all the way when released.

No relay, no fuses in the headlight circuit. The only fuse is back by the battery and is a main power fuse. It is possible a relay and fuse was added with the headlight mod so check for that. But none in the original circuit.

Power comes from bat to ign switch, then to the kill switch, then start button then to the HI/LO switch then to the headlights. Check that the start button returns all the way when released.

Thats good to know that is no relays or fuses, I didn't add any relays so must be something else. I will check that but the ignition switch is new so it shouldn't be that

Wasn't my start button.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? this is soooo frustrating!! 👍:banghead:🤣:banghead:🙂:banghead::applause::jawdrop::foul::cheers:

Do you have a volt meter? Start at the bulb and if you don't have 12 V there chase back the wires until you find it and then you'll know where the problem is.

Yes, that is the best way. If you don't have a volt meter, you can make a test light with a 12v light bulb. But it is worth it to buy a test meter. You will use it over and over.

I am really hoping I can get this fixed asap. I am totally lost when it comes to tracking down electrical problems and don't feel like spending over $100 for a shop to tell me its a $2 relay or fuse

I have a tester if you need to borrow it🤣...they are cheap:thumbsup:

BTW...we're meeting at RMC 4-10-10 @ 9 am:smirk:

It's because you touch yourself at night.

and how do you know this ????? 👍

Good enough voltmeters can be had for less than twenty bucks. I wouldn't even begin checking without one, PIA otherwise. How did you do your continuity test?

and how do you know this ????? 👍

I know chris well enough that 90% of the time you can attribute his issues to excessive masturbatory activity🤣

Not this time tho, a solder came loose in the starter switch assembly. Hard to find, easy to fix.

Good going, that is on the starter switch.

I know chris well enough that 90% of the time you can attribute his issues to excessive masturbatory activity 🙂

Not this time tho, a solder came loose in the starter switch assembly. Hard to find, easy to fix.

Yup, one of wires broke off but was easily soldered back on. Of course we found this after we tore apart all the wireing testing everything all the way back to battery.🤣:lol:👍

Thank you everyone for your help, was very useful tips from all of you. PS. I have a bad ass Fluke Multimeter thanks to Smokee

This wire, sorry about the blurry large pic. Low light with my cellphone camera. Hopefully it can help someone else having this issue in the future. (Lower right orange wire)

IMG_0205.jpg

I have a tester if you need to borrow it 👍...they are cheap:thumbsup:

BTW...we're meeting at RMC 4-10-10 @ 9 am:smirk:

Dang, I am riding Saturday with a buddy of mine and selling a car on Sunday or else I would be down. Let me know the next time you go out though, I will definatly be down to go