What bike to get for automotive project at school?

I will be starting my project for automotive soon at school, and we can do anything we want to do on what ever we want.

I have my mind set on either a 125 2-stroke or a 250 2-stroke, because they are easier to work on and fairly cheap. My teacher reckons 2-stroks are easy to work on compard to 4-strokes. What brand (kaw,suz,yam,hon,ktm) do you think i should get and why, and should i do the 125 or 250 and why? thanks

• 1 month later...

I would say which ever one you can find cheaper that would be a good project. Maybe something that needs new plastics and some powdercoating and maybe a new top end. Not something beat to hell though, just scan the classifides for a steal of a deal and jump on it.....Or how about something old to do a restoration on??? Like an 80's 125 or 250 or older than that.

do NOT do a ktm whatever you do, it will be a pain in the a$$ to find parts if you need them and they are expensive as crap.

Maybe a honda or yamaha 125, easy to work with, cheap parts, great quality.

I wouldn't get a 250 for school project, unless you are willing to spend some extra money to pay for the bike and the parts.

do NOT do a ktm whatever you do, it will be a pain in the a$$ to find parts if you need them and they are expensive as crap.

Maybe a honda or yamaha 125, easy to work with, cheap parts, great quality.

I wouldn't get a 250 for school project, unless you are willing to spend some extra money to pay for the bike and the parts.

What are you talking about?? name 1 quality part that is cheaper on a 125 than a 250! and if the top end is blown and the rest of the bike is good... no matter what you get its gonna cost 300-500 dollars.

I disagree.

In my opinion I would do a four stroke project, as you will learn more. Two strokes are that easy to work on that if you are already mechanically minded and can swing spanners, then you aren't going to learn much if you get a two stroke to work on and would benefit far more learning to work on a four stroke. It doesnt necessarily need to be a modern "high performance" four stroke such as any of the Japanese 250f's, but you will still learn a hell of a lot if you build up a single or twin 4 stroke. Honda XR 250 or XL 250 for example. I dont know what the curriculum states in your part of the world, or the level of teaching available for this part of schooling, but if the teachers have any credibility I am sure they will tell you the same thing.

If you want to use this as an excuse to buy a bike and intend on riding it after the "project" is done, then buy a bike that you will ride.

👍

I disagree.

In my opinion I would do a four stroke project, as you will learn more. Two strokes are that easy to work on that if you are already mechanically minded and can swing spanners, then you aren't going to learn much if you get a two stroke to work on and would benefit far more learning to work on a four stroke. It doesnt necessarily need to be a modern "high performance" four stroke such as any of the Japanese 250f's, but you will still learn a hell of a lot if you build up a single or twin 4 stroke. Honda XR 250 or XL 250 for example. I dont know what the curriculum states in your part of the world, or the level of teaching available for this part of schooling, but if the teachers have any credibility I am sure they will tell you the same thing.

If you want to use this as an excuse to buy a bike and intend on riding it after the "project" is done, then buy a bike that you will ride.

👍

see here's the thing i dont know if i should buy another MXer for the project (already got '08crf450r) or should i buy something on which i can street legally ride after its done (i will have my bike license by the end of the project

i might do a honda xr, the street legal ones, they look reliable and easy to get parts for as there are so many of them in general, or a dr-z.

I'm not sure what the project is.

Buy an old bike and polish it up?

How about a decent mid 90's MX'er, say a KX/YZ/CR 125, with an XR motor in it?

Or go the other way and find a plateable XR/DRZ and put a MX motor in it?

Some things to keep in mind - An MX KX/YZ/CR frame with a wimpy motor is an absolute blast to ride.

- A older XR style frame with an MX style motor in it can be a deathtrap.

Have fun!