Sign in to follow this  

Which replacement kickstand?

My stock kickstand broke. I've seem TrailTech and ProMoto Billet make aftermarket replacements. Any recommendation? TT is cheaper.

I thought the original KTM design was awful anyway so I don't really want

to buy another stock one. Any other choices?

PMB is the nicest one out there but $$$. MSR makes a stand as well (I think)but the quality is no where near that of the PMB. You can take a PMB off of the bike and sell it. I just watched one on Ebay that went for $130 with the shipping:banghead: I have used the Trailtech unit and it held up OK and did not fall off as I have heard others complain of, but the cap on the end of the stand recently bit the dust.

I have used the Pro Motion Billet stand on an RM-250 and it is a very nice, quality stand that never gave any issues.

A bit pricey maybe.....but for the extra money well worth the investment.

I have the Trail Tech...Not as nice as the Pro Billet, but its half the price. Get the trail tech and a new rear tire.

defidently go the PMB, both are good stands, but the trailtech just won't last as long as the Promoto. If your on a tight budget though, i'd go with the TT

I have had both stands. I preffer the TT. The TT stand swings out alittle farther away from the bike. This will allow the bike to lean over some and makes it easy to park on uneven surfaces (off road). The PMB stand I had looks great and is a good stand. But what I was not happy with on the one I had, the stand would swing almost straight down. So the bike would stand very close to straight up and down, balance point when parked. That made it tricky to park it off road, because it would tip over easly. IMO. If that makes any sence. Good luck.

TT does not make a stand for anything newer than the 07 KTM, is Promoto the only option. I want one I can stand on and kick the bike. Current ride is a 250 xcw

I had this debate a while back, I ended up just using tree's or other objects that dont move easily, sometimes even a stand. I thought I would miss it, and I may have for a few rides, but I dont even think about it now. (Also, depends on the type of riding you do and where you find yourself).

I just put a new Trail Tech stand on my 2004 200SX, which required the mount and kickstand.

While it does put the 200SX very close to vertical 😏 , I am sooo happy with it. 😏

It's so nice not to have to grab the swingarm triangle stand or find a tree.

I have had both stands. I prefer the TT. The TT stand swings out a little farther away from the bike. This will allow the bike to lean over some and makes it easy to park on uneven surfaces (off road). The PMB stand I had looks great and is a good stand. But what I was not happy with on the one I had, the stand would swing almost straight down. So the bike would stand very close to straight up and down, balance point when parked. That made it tricky to park it off road, because it would tip over easily.

I had the same issue with my PMB stand early on with my '04 bike. The problem was easily solved by securing the PMB kick stand leg in a padded vice and straightening the stand leg outward a little bit. This provided a more sure footed stance and allowed the bike to tilt a little more to the left. Even with the leg straightened out, it still fit neatly behind the rear number plate when folded up.

TT does not make a stand for anything newer than the 07 KTM, is Promoto the only option. I want one I can stand on and kick the bike. Current ride is a 250 xcw

you need a wr250 with heavy stand then.

the pmb unit will probably fail if you stand on it to kick the bike very much. it's designed to be lightweight, not a boat anchor.

i have a pmb on my kx250, and it got pretty bent just from falling over once (in soft dirt).

If I want the bike to lean over a bit more, I'll just pull the foot off of the TT stand, cut off 1/4" with a tubing cutter. Repeat until I get the desired tilt.

you need a wr250 with heavy stand then.

the pmb unit will probably fail if you stand on it to kick the bike very much. it's designed to be lightweight, not a boat anchor.

i have a pmb on my kx250, and it got pretty bent just from falling over once (in soft dirt).

more true words have never been spoked :banana: he would probably be better off buying an e start bike too.