Sign in to follow this  

Powdercoating rims?

I bought a ktm 250sx to fix up and sell, and defidently ride some before selling. It has silver rims now, but i really like the look of ktm's with the black rims.

The rear wheel is excel and the front is stock. Would i be a good idea to powdercoat these black. How long would they hold up if done right?

Also, how much do you guys normally pay? I'm on a budget so i can't afford new black rims, but what is a fair price. How much would it cost to have a shop remove my tire another shop paint the rims, and then the first shop install my tire in everyone's opinion. Thanks, Patrick.

to keep costs down you are going to probably want to take your own tire off the rim, and you are going to have to de spoke it. then call around to a few shops. it should be like ~$50 i would guess. I have never done powder coating but I think it is good, but it does chip soooooo.... your mileage may very. I like anodized rims. If it were me i'd sand them down and throw some rattle can down. that keeps my costs down on projects that i'm going to be selling 👍

Bakeing the rim in an oven after powder coat weakens the rim and lets it dent eaisier. That was my buddys experiance and advise.

Bakeing the rim in an oven after powder coat weakens the rim and lets it dent eaisier. That was my buddys experiance and advise.

I had mine done 3 years ago and havent had a problem with easy denting? the only thing is from changin my tires there is a ring around where the powder coating has came off, but other then that they look good and have held up well

I have powder coated two sets of rims with good success. They have held up well, but do get the occasional chip from riding in rocks. I had them sand blasted before being powder coated which helps with durability. $50 per wheel sounds about right.

CAMM

I had mine done 3 years ago and havent had a problem with easy denting? the only thing is from changin my tires there is a ring around where the powder coating has came off, but other then that they look good and have held up well

Do you use anything on your wheels when changing the tires?

Nices rims I even saw were on Whittdogs KLX. I think he said it was a bitch to do... I'd do it right, or leave it alone. Check out Whitt Dogs rebuild thread. His KLX is the cats ASS IMO

• Like 1

Here's one area no one's touched yet regarding powder coating...if the spokes are taken out WHO masks the threads on both the rims and spoke nipples? If the powder coater does it it'll cost an arm and a leg...Just curious bcause this subject always comes up but no one addresses this issue!

I would recommend TCR wheels. They can reannodize, retrue your rims pretty cheap. They can also turn down your stock hubs and annodize them as well. They just did 6 wheels for me that turned out good.

Here's one area no one's touched yet regarding powder coating...if the spokes are taken out WHO masks the threads on both the rims and spoke nipples? If the powder coater does it it'll cost an arm and a leg...Just curious bcause this subject always comes up but no one addresses this issue!

I don't get your question...you don't have to mask off the rim holes or anything.

Powdercoat only needs 400f to cure. This shouldn't be hot enough anneal the rim and make it soft (aluminum wheels for trucks come powdercoated). There is also HD (heavy duty) powder in many of the basic colors. I would suggest finding a pc shop near by and talking to them. If they haven't heard of it (hd powder I mean), or try and sell you on the regular black they use being durable go somewhere else. Or you could order a 1/2 pound of powder and take it to them (less than 20 bux). The wheels should be sandblasted, and a Iron Phosphate rinse or similar chemical coating prior to the powder will help a great deal with adhesion. Powdercoating is surprisingly easy. For the amount you would pay to have someone coat you rims, you could set youself with a hobby setup, and an old kitchen oven and do them yourself (and any future parts). You or anyone else can feel free to pm me if I can answer any questions, or be of assistance. 👍:ride:🤣

I have a question about powdercoating. I am going to be powdercoating my rims and hubs. I'm getting my rims done for $35 each and $35 each for my hubs too. The problem with the hubs is, I have to buy my own powder since they don't stock blue (rims are black). How much powder should I get to finish 2 hubs?

And on a side note: How do I take out bearings and put in bearings for the hubs? Do I need a special tool? Or do I even need to take them out?

There are no threads on the rims, so masking is not necessary on the rims. Most do not powder coat the spoke nipples (I did not) so no masking is necessary for those either.

CAMM

And on a side note: How do I take out bearings and put in bearings for the hubs? Do I need a special tool? Or do I even need to take them out?

You will need to remove the bearings as well as replace them since removal may weaken the bearing. You remove them by using a punch to pound them out from the back side. In other words slide your punch in the opposite side of the hub from the bearing you are removing. I also place the new bearings in the freezer for awhile and they install a little easier. Be sure to only put pressure on the outer part of the bearing during install.

CAMM

Do you use anything on your wheels when changing the tires?

LUBE? yeah I soapy water or tire shine.

LUBE? yeah I soapy water or tire shine.

I meant like tape or something so that marks not there?

I just got my wheels, hubs, and spokes powdercoated for a grand total of $40.🤣 It's good to have friends in the powder coating business!

Most people will tell you to take the spokes out because you won't be able to tighten them after the powder coat bakes on. I was too lazy to take out the spokes and lace a wheel so I kept them in. For $40 I didn't really care if they got baked tight plus I love the look of black spokes. It's too early to tell if I'll regret this decision or not 👍

I can't really comment on the durability because I only have a few hours on the bike since I got them powder coated. But so far so good, not even a single scratch.

24392_1337724654791_1581386217_784413_7772022_n.jpg

I don't get your question...you don't have to mask off the rim holes or anything.

Aren't the spoke holes threaded? If so won't they be clogged by powdercoat? I've never taken one apart, just going on assumption!

Aren't the spoke holes threaded? If so won't they be clogged by powdercoat? I've never taken one apart, just going on assumption!

Nope, the spoke holes are just holes, the nipples and the spokes themselves are what have threads. If you are just powdercoating the rim there is no masking needed.