Sign in to follow this  

Drowned my bike

Today I was riding my usual trails around home. I went through the creek I normally go through and a few 4x4's had gone through and dug it out. I tried to take the highside of the wheel track, but the back wheel slid in and I dropped her on her side. The bike stopped straight away. I pulled her out and took the airbox cover off and she was full of water. 👍

What is the best way to clean her out? I was thinking, pull carb out and dry/clean, check oil colour and change if milky. Is there any other parts that I need to strip down? If the oil is milky, what should I flush the bike with to clean out the water?

Thank you and I hope I can save her!

do not crank it over until the oil has been cleared.

water is heavier than oil, so drain the water then stop when the oil starts seeping out.

if you have already tried to start it, its too late, and the oil has mixed with water. you will have to flush the engine several times with cheap oil.

pull the spark plug, crank over until water is clear. drain airbox, dry air filter.

clean spark plug via putting some gasoline on it or using a rag.

Thanks Vash, no I haven't tried cranking it over yet. Will work on it tomorrow. I think it will be OK, same doesn't go for my mobile phone and ipod! 👍

by removing the spark plug and then trying to start it you should force the water out of the cylinder. As far as the oil you need to assume there is water in it and flush it out as much as possible.

I stripped down the carby and cleaned it. Dropped the oil and it didn't look too bad. I tried to pour some cheap oil in to flush it out but how do you get it into the motor as it just wants to stay in the frame? Do I need to put 2L in to get it to fill the motor and flush it? I turned the motor over with the electric start. I then put petrol in and turned it over a couple of times.

Also, I cant get the cover off so I can manually crank it? I have had it off before but it is stuck now, I don't want to force it because it is starting to flog out being aluminium. Any ideas on how I can get it off? I need to get it off to find top dead center when doing valve clearances.

Thank you.

you might have tightened it up too much on the last service. Try to open it when the motor is hot. Sometimes that helps with stubborn parts.

it happens all the time here in florida on our trails. you usually have to drain the air box, carb, tip the bike up if you have help and drain the exhaust. pull the plug, crank it over and blow the water out of the cyclinder. sometimes something electrical will get wet and keep it from cranking, so you might have to pull it off. when you get home[which i assume you are] change the oil. this is what we do in the woods. you get better at it each time. Also, we dont ride alone just because of this. Can be a long walk out by yourself. randy

I've had my share of those experiance here in PA too! No fun! Good advice on those on prior posts.

DualSport2007144.jpg

ooh, that sucks. I been there but not w/ my Z.

next time that happens I seen people just pop the front wheel straight up and have the filter off, it will cause all the water to drain back down out through the air filter hole. once the water stops remove the spark plug and crank it over a few times. put everything back together and it should start fine to get home.

Once home just do what everyone said. change the oil start her up for a little and drain the oil again. do it a few times using cheap oil and thats it. should be back to 100%