Sign in to follow this  

My new to me 2002 CRF450R (need help setting it up)

Hi every one I want to thank you all for the amazing info that's found on here about 450's.

I recently bought this bike after being out of riding for the last 6yrs my last bike was a 01 KTM250sx.

28h349i.jpg

1zf3a6p.jpg

The bike has the following mods Bondi built motor(end of season 09), hinson clutch, Quick Shot, works rads, 11oz flywheel weight, After market header and cut down factory silencer, stage 2 Hot-cam.....

I am a big rider 6'1" 265lbs with out gear 👍 and need some advice on how to make this tank handle better it feels off and hard to control in the bumps and turns horribly. The bike has enough power I just need to focus on suspension and handleing.

These are the parts I'm looking at buying

-Ride Engineering 20-22mm Triple Clamps

-Ride Engineering axle block

Any advice on setting up the suspension would be greatly appreciated!.... I was looking for suspension linkages but can't find any for 02's will the 03+ linkages fit?

Edited by srt4u2nv

Nice bike. I had on 02 back in 03 and it was a good bike. You need 20mm triple clamps to make it turn. Look on ebay you might find some used ones cheap. I have an 03 crf450 and love it. I got 20mm triple clamps with steering stem for a buy it now only 25.00. great deal huh.

at 265, you're probably going to need new springs, at least. i'd check out the racetech website to get the right spring rates, then talk to a suspension shop about valving options. it's well worth the money.

you'll probably want to see what springs you've got in the bike already. did the previous owner know?

Thanks fellas I found a set of Ride Engineering Triple Clamps 22mm offset for $200, Fastway F6 pegs for $100......I am looking at a KYB 6.3kg shock spring and .52kg fork springs waiting on pro-action for pricing and setup options......Should I look into changing to the 03 rear suspension so I can get the updated linkage? or just get a Storm link?.....Also can I use factory 08 or 09 triple clamps to get the 22mm or 20mm offset I want instead of buying the Ride clamps?....will 20mm work better then 22mm? what about headshake?.....

Edited by srt4u2nv