My '83 XL600R just died

So here I am as another whose XL has died. Man, my 1983 XL600R with 12,000 miles,was running so well and just got my new Clarke tank on and enjoying a nice ride home after work.

Just got onto the dirt and started to click. About the same as normal, thought maybe because it was hot out,80F.

Noise stopped and about 10 feet later the motor stopped. As I was coasting, I would put it into gear to try a rolling start and nothing.

When I kick her over, I get slight compression and when it kicks,I can hear what sounds like gears spinning in the lower case.

Luckily I only had to push her a mile before I had cell service to call the lil woman. Got her home on the trailer and she is back in the garage.

So where do you think the failure occured??

I wondering could it be the cam chain? A lower gear broken??

The cost and PITA to repair???

Thanks as always.

Doug

Doug, does it sound normal when you kick it over as in do you hear exhaust going putt putt? It almost sounds like you lost a cam chain by your description. You could remove the clutch cover and see if the cam chain is stacked up on the crank.

If that happened you most likely bent a valve or two.

Sounds like a cam chain slipping to me. Cam chain, valves (maybe), piston, rings, gaskets, machine work. $500-$600

I hope I'm wrong

Damn, I hope your wrong too:bonk: I just put in new piston,rings,gasket and machine work last spring.

If it looks too $$ intensive I may have to part her out.👍:banghead:

Only paid $600 for the bike but have probably put that much into her. One of those tough calls.

Doug, does it sound normal when you kick it over as in do you hear exhaust going putt putt? It almost sounds like you lost a cam chain by your description. You could remove the clutch cover and see if the cam chain is stacked up on the crank.

If that happened you most likely bent a valve or two.

No putt putt sound. Guess I look deeper in tonight. Thanks for the advice.👍

Well I Checked last night. When I kick her over no noise thru the pipe, BUT if I kick her over while holding the de-comp lever she does putt putt. Then again while holding the lever and kicking, I can feel what almost seems like a suction at times. Strange. It looks like I am going to have to pull the motor and take a look.

Thanks for the advice.

Definately sounds like a cam chain problem. When you kick without the decomp, the valves arent moving so you here nothing. When you use the decomp, you're hearing the piston wanting to pull air back through the exhaust during its downstroke then push it back out during the upstroke.

Maybe your camchain tensioner took a dump and the chain slacked out and fell off either the cam or crank sprocket? Or, as I mentioned earlier just flat broke.

Report back with pics, if you can.

Definately sounds like a cam chain problem. When you kick without the decomp, the valves arent moving so you here nothing. When you use the decomp, you're hearing the piston wanting to pull air back through the exhaust during its downstroke then push it back out during the upstroke.

Maybe your camchain tensioner took a dump and the chain slacked out and fell off either the cam or crank sprocket? Or, as I mentioned earlier just flat broke.

Report back with pics, if you can.

Thanks Bruce. As soon as I find I out I will.

Only problem I have is we are packing up to move on the 1st of May, so I am really reluctant to pull her too far apart before the move for fear of losing any parts.:foul:Could happen.👍

Over the weekend I am going to pull the tank and the valve caps and see if I can at least get a better look inside.🤣

Edited by crag antler
typos