Sign in to follow this  

DR350 spark problem

I am helping my son get this bike in shape for his first dual sport. It is a 92 DR 350 SE. We have a condition I am not sure what to do about, the thing is only kick start and it only has spark on the first kick than nothing. Turn the key off and wait 20 seconds and you will have spark again on the first kick only. I have not been able to get good specs for testing the elecrical components, and we are on a 16 year olds budget so just throwing parts at it is not really what I want to do either. Any experience on here? Thanks for your help.

You should call Jesse Kientz at 541-472-0835 (Kientech Engineering).

http://www.kientech.com/

He is in Oregon so be aware of the time difference. He has a 1990 DR350 and knows all things DR. He should be of great help and hopefully save you some time sorting it out. By the way it is not an "SE" model. It is an "S". "E" means electric start. Just letting you know so you don't bark up any of the wrong trees. I would try cleaning the battery contacts if you haven't. I think a bad connection will limit the current passing through the battery. A new spark plug would not be expensive, but I know next to nothing about electrical systems. Good luck. I have been reviving a 1990 DR350S so I kind of know how you guys feel messing with an old kick start bike.

Thnak you for that advice, I called Jesse and he was very helpful. I got some very good information from him to help get the problem figured out.

sorry to interrupt this post.. but is a battery a necessity? does it boost the spark? I have an xt and run without one but dont know about the ds...

I have a dr350S with NO BATTERY and NO CAPACITOR and my bike starts and runs fine. If you want to know how to hard wire your DR ON let me know i'll tell you what wires to cut and cross. My bike is hard wired on but I have no battery. so. IDC!

AND: NO! A battery is not required! the charging system and spark pickup are two different systems!