Sign in to follow this  

Yz125 questions for an amatuer

Hay guys I already sold my ttr125. So now I'm looking for a nice used bike. I was looking at some yzs and saw the 125. But what's the maintence compared to a four stroke. I was looking also into a 250f? I rode a 250f and loved the power but how's the 125's power compared? I heard they are similar

also I rode a yz250 and also loved the power. But will the yz125 and the yz250 keep up with the 250f? My buddy said that the yz125 or the 250 won't keep up. Also I'm sort of nervous bout buying a two stroke bcause I'm worried that yamaha will stop making parts for them. Will they?

I'm 15 years old and I weigh bout 165lbs. But will I like the two strokes? Also I ride a lot of woods and like doing big jumps on tracks.

I just want to have the cheapest bike and most reliable bike and I want to have it for like a few years. One more thing what do you guys think about a 450 I rode that too and the power was insane.

But tell me what you guys think and will get back to you

I find that 2 Strokes are much more simple and standard for maintence, The 125 2 stroke and 250f are simular in power but the 2 stroke will be much more "snappy" where the 250f will have more torque and traction. I have rode 2 strokes since the beginning but last year I made the swich to a YZF450 and I have no regrets... I love the four stoke!!

When I was 15, I wouldn't have had the funds to keep a 4 stroke. If you're coming from a ttr, I'd imagine you didn't do much maintenance besides cleaning the oil filter and changing the oil every now and then. When I was 15, I had a two stroke and I'm glad I had one because I think I'm a better rider from it. I think 4 strokes will make you lazy if you're learning, while 2 strokes will help develop your clutch/throttle coordination. They are somewhat more difficult to ride, but once you get used to it, a 2 stroke 125 is one of the best and most fun bikes to rip around a track.

...go for the yz

Well first off let me start by saying that a 125 two stroke and a 250f are similar in power, the 250f has the advantage in terms of torque and traction as stated above, and your friend was mistaken when he said that a 2 stroke wont keep up, a 125 will keep up and to say a 250 2 stroke wont keep up is just downright ludarcis. A 250 smoker blows the 250f out of the water in every category!

Now as far as maint goes... a 2 stroke still requires maint. its just not as involved as a 4 stroke, oil changes, regreasing, air filters are all still just as important as they are on the 4 stroke. The advantage to maint comes into play when you consider valve adjustments and things of that sort. the 2 stroke will be cheaper as well as easier and less time consuming than the 4 stroke. And Im here to tell you that you will have no trouble finding parts for the current yz models 2000 and up. The 125 will make you a much better rider and will teach you the appropriate skills needed to be even faster on the 250f, if you can become fast on the 125 then youll be able to ride anything fast, it teaches you the importance of throttle control, corner speed, using the clutch properly... etc. etc.. IMHO a 125 smoker is the bike of choice for anyone wishing to enhance thier skills in the racing world and become a better rider. Not to mention a 125 is the most fun bike you can throw your leg over if you can learn to use it correctly, no better feeling than to have a 125 smoker screaming while you keep rev the life out of it the whole way around the track.

If you dont belive me watch this video and see if it doesnt make you smile, I know it gives me goosebumps and anyone else that knows the skill it takes to make a 125 go this fast is smiling in amazement too!👍

Well first off let me start by saying that a 125 two stroke and a 250f are similar in power, the 250f has the advantage in terms of torque and traction as stated above, and your friend was mistaken when he said that a 2 stroke wont keep up, a 125 will keep up and to say a 250 2 stroke wont keep up is just downright ludarcis. A 250 smoker blows the 250f out of the water in every category!

it doesn't blow it out of the water they are identical with less then 2 seconds a lap difference the 125 is the underdog and the 250f 250 2 stroke are close almost identical

it doesn't blow it out of the water they are identical with less then 2 seconds a lap difference the 125 is the underdog and the 250f 250 2 stroke are close almost identical

Im talking peak numbers... I know they are close on the track. Same reason guys on 250fs can run similar, if not faster lap times as the 450s at the pro level. But put your average rider on a 125 smoker and a 250f and Im willing to bet the lap times will vary quite a bit when bike weight and experience come into play, at least for me they do... My lap times are faster on my 125 smoker than both my yz250s and my 450. I find it easier to turn faster lap times on the 125 because you can keep the rev it to the moon at all times and not find yourself getting in as much trouble as on a 450f or 250 smoker. Just speaking from personal experience.👍

2 seconds a lap is pretty significant. A 250 2T is simply alot more motor than a 250 4T. And if it was as easy to ride as an F that 2 seconds would grow even more.

I still think that a 250F is the fastest way around a track for most riders. But just wanted to clarify to the OP that his friend is mistaken. And congrats for spelling amatuer correctly, lol.

2 seconds a lap is pretty significant. A 250 2T is simply alot more motor than a 250 4T. And if it was as easy to ride as an F that 2 seconds would grow even more.

I still think that a 250F is the fastest way around a track for most riders. But just wanted to clarify to the OP that his friend is mistaken. And congrats for spelling amatuer correctly, lol.

LOL thats what I was trying to say, thanks for spelling that out for me. Im not the best at putting thoughts into words.🤣

Though I tried to make it clear that the 2 stroke is just harder to ride.👍

But im going to be riding in the woods. How does the yz125 do in woods? Some woods are very tight.

Maintenance is as simple as it gets. Drain the oil, clean the air filter, go ride.

I guess it's just personal preference. I personally believe a two stroke will teach you proper riding technique like clutch use, weight transfer, brake balance, and help build corner speed since you can't stop, point, and shoot like a 450. I can't help out in the tight trail department, I ride mostly mx and some open desert.

But im going to be riding in the woods. How does the yz125 do in woods? Some woods are very tight.

Since I switch back and forth between a YZ125, YZ250, and CR125R all three, I can tell you that for very steep hills you would be much better off with a YZ250 or YZ250F. I'm talking about long, steep, rutted out, rough trails. If you're not going to be climbing a lot of hills such as the type described above, then you can certainly get by with a YZ125; or any other 125cc two-stroke MX bike for that matter. You can still climb many grades of hills on a 125cc two-stroke MX bike if you are a pretty good rider. A 125cc two-stroke is one of the most fun bikes you will ever throw a leg over. Guaranteed! As the other posters have already told you, a 125cc two-stroke MX bike will most definitely help you develop your clutch and throttle control skills. There is absolutely no doubt about it. A YZ250F does have more low-end grunt which can really come in handy when trail riding in thick mud; also for climbing those really long, steep hills that are rutted out as previously mentioned. I rode my friend's YZ250F a few weeks ago and it is quite torquey indeed. It would be really nice to have a 250F added to the stable for variety. 👍

Since I switch back and forth between a YZ125, YZ250, and CR125R all three, I can tell you that for very steep hills you would be much better off with a YZ250 or YZ250F. I'm talking about long, steep, rutted out, rough trails. If you're not going to be climbing a lot of hills such as the type described above, then you can certainly get by with a YZ125; or any other 125cc two-stroke MX bike for that matter. You can still climb many grades of hills on a 125cc two-stroke MX bike if you are a pretty good rider. A 125cc two-stroke is one of the most fun bikes you will ever throw a leg over. Guaranteed! As the other posters have already told you, a 125cc two-stroke MX bike will most definitely help you develop your clutch and throttle control skills. There is absolutely no doubt about it. A YZ250F does have more low-end grunt which can really come in handy when trail riding in thick mud; also for climbing those really long, steep hills that are rutted out as previously mentioned. I rode my friend's YZ250F a few weeks ago and it is quite torquey indeed. It would be really nice to have a 250F added to the stable for variety. 👍

good post. hills are the 125's enemy. If you carry speed and are crafty with the clutch you can do amazing things but there is no replacement for the cubes when it comes to hills. So to the guy asking how 125s do in woods, it depends on your woods I guess. It's all a compromise. In tight woods you can stop and turn the 125 very easily, but the 250s(both 2 and 4 strokes) just squirt away from the 125 between the stops. To accelerate away from slow turns on the 125 you just have to ride better and use that clutch.