Sign in to follow this  

A couple of questions....after crash.

Hey,

I recently wrecked my 07' not really sure what the hell happened. I am only a weekend warrior, so my wreck was probably pretty tame, but i do have some stuff broke and I need some help.

The front wheel was twisted off center when the bars were centered, i was thinking oh great the forks are bent but i am starting to think they aren't. I only washed out the front end somthing is bent but not sure, however my bars definitley have a slight tweak to them. As well my throttle tube is scuffed off a bit and it's sticking.

So where is a good place online to buy bars? What kind are good? I am only 5'7" weighing about 180ibs and do mostly trail.

Throttle tubes....any kind any better?

Grips.....gonna need a set of those as well.

Also if anyone has any pointers in figuring out what is bent in the front end that would be great, I've removed the forks and they seem straight to me.

Thanks

Hey,

I recently wrecked my 07' not really sure what the hell happened. I am only a weekend warrior, so my wreck was probably pretty tame, but i do have some stuff broke and I need some help.

The front wheel was twisted off center when the bars were centered, i was thinking oh great the forks are bent but i am starting to think they aren't. I only washed out the front end somthing is bent but not sure, however my bars definitley have a slight tweak to them. As well my throttle tube is scuffed off a bit and it's sticking.

So where is a good place online to buy bars? What kind are good? I am only 5'7" weighing about 180ibs and do mostly trail.

Throttle tubes....any kind any better?

Grips.....gonna need a set of those as well.

Also if anyone has any pointers in figuring out what is bent in the front end that would be great, I've removed the forks and they seem straight to me.

Thanks

you can buy bars and throttle tubes anywhere online, thumpertalk has them in the parts store section.

As for the front end being tweaked, loosen the pinch bolts on the upper and lower triple clamps (4 per side) than straighten the wheel while someone holds the bars. I usually hold the bars myself and use my knees to get the front wheel where I want it. Tighten the clamps back up and you are good to go. Don't over tighten them, it is aluminum.

I had a pretty good crash last year and my bars/forks seemed bent also. It ended up being the rubber bushings in the upper triple clamp that the handlebar mounts go into. I would take your handlebars off remove the mounting hardware and re install/re torque. If your bars are not bent this should help. Also take your throttle apart and clean the handlebar and inside the throttle tube. I do not use grease because it seems to attract dirt but some dry graphite and a little cable lube might do wonders. I was able to only have to replace 1 u-bolt that was bent and that was it. Those forks are very strong. I would try the easy fix first prior to replacing everything.👍

Yeah i had to straighten one of the verticle bar clamp to tree bolts, and was good, you just need a vice and a 3 foot piece of metal pipe, stick a deepwell socket over the end of the bolt and throw the 3ft torque wrench (pipe) on it.

To straighten a tweaked front end, loosen the top triple clamp pinch bolts, hold the front wheel with you legs/knees and twist the bars towards the centerline. Bars often appear bent when it's just twisted in the bar mounts. loosen the rear bar mount bolts and the perch mount nut under the top triple clamp, then turn the bars all the way to the frame stop and continue pushing until the bars align with the top triple clamp. Do not attempt to straighten any bent bolts in the bar/perch mounts as this work hardens the bolt and greatly increases the risk of a broken bolt at the worst possible time. Replace any bent hardware with new bolts. They are cheap to replace.