Sign in to follow this  

What brand of cam chain do you use?

HI everyone. I'm not sure if making survey's are possible in this forum, if it is I can't find it.

Anyway, I am going to be doing a full top end rebuild on my engine, and wanted to get some reviews and opinions on cam chain brands.

Doing some searching around, the ones that are easily accessable to me are...

STOCK

Wiseco

ProX

DID

If there is another brand you recommend, please post about that as well, and where it can be purchased from. Thanks very much.

I have seen a ProX cam chain fail after 5 hours. It snapped off and bent 2 valves.

It had several broken links all the way around that were starting to let go...

is pro-x like a off brand? i dont have any experiance with them, what causes their stuff to be so cheap in quality tho? i think it would be nice when i rebuild my 09 that i could put ALL pro X parts in it and call it done, but since ive heard of their cam chains breaking, im thinking twice.

i have a 07 kx250f and i use procircut cam chain if you cant get that i would say did or stock

The stock chain is made by DID. It also fits from the YZ250F and is cheaper.

OEM is always best. That said, Pro-X parts are top notch. The failure noted herein was more than likely caused by something else...imo.

Out of the 4 brands listed I've used all but the DID. Never had a problem with any of them.

OEM is always best. That said, Pro-X parts are top notch. The failure noted herein was more than likely caused by something else...imo.

It could have been, but I trust the guy who put it in his 450. He is a good mechanic.

I don´t know how you feel about me, but when I say someone is a good mechanic, they are:thumbsup:👍

He did a routine replacement of the piston and cam chain. The local dealership had a ProX chain behind the counter so he bought it.

He fitted the parts and all was good. 5 hours runtime later he was at practice at the local track, and was tired and about to pull off the track.

He sort of let the bike "chug" a little, and the engine probably put a little "spike" load on the cam chain.

It happened at really low RPM and that was the saver, the engine just went "PHLOFF" and stopped.

When he took it apart the cam chain had fallen down, but luckily the only damage was 2 bent intake valves.

He had a shop fix the valves and valve seats and got a new OEM chain and put it back together again.

When inspecting the ProX chain it had failed and all links were broken in one spot, causing it to open.

At least 20 more links along the way had already failed, but since there are several plates for each link it hadn´t failed in those spots yet.

I say quality problem on that chain, but of course I can´t say that ALL chains are gonna break.

I hope they get their hardening process under control...

i use wiseco cam chain workswell, i also use ProX parts else where on the bike, and they are awsome, apparently the big in europe and alot of enduro riders use them