New Rider, What Bike to start on?

Hey guys

I'm new to dirtbiking, was hoping to get some input on a good first bike for me. I am 18 years old 5'10-11" 160 lbs never riden a dirt bike before but have been on snowmobiles for as long as I can remember. I am a fairly aggresive sled rider and run the higher 600-800cc sleds confidently. This probably doesn't transfer to bikes very well but I'm just saying once i get the feel I don't want to be left wanting more. I was thinking a 250f may suit me fairly well? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

NSP

I would say a combo of both, There are more tracks around here then trail networks but I imagine I'll start on trail but I will definetly be interested in getting out on the tracks as well once I get the feel of being on a bike.

The 125 is a great option. If you can find good 250f, that would be great too. Eveyone on here bashes them, but if you find one that's mechanically sound and maintain it properly, you won't have any problems. I swear, the way some people talk about thumpers on here, you would think everyone that rides one has grenaded their engine at least 6 times. It's b.s.

The 125 is a great option. If you can find good 250f, that would be great too. Eveyone on here bashes them, but if you find one that's mechanically sound and maintain it properly, you won't have any problems. I swear, the way some people talk about thumpers on here, you would think everyone that rides one has grenaded their engine at least 6 times. It's b.s.

Its not that were saying they are not good bikes, just maybe not as good of a choice for a beginner when maint. and money comes into play. Its just they are not as forgiving mechanically as a smoker if that person is not into meticulously maintaining a bike or payin a shop big $$$ to do it for them. Thats the only advantage I say the 2 strokes have over the 4 strokes designed for MX. I own both so Im not bashing just tryin to give helpful info to someone with no experience on the subject. It comes down to changing the oil and air filter on the two stroke to adjusting valves, checking clearances etc, etc. with the race thumpers:thumbsup:

Coming off snowmobiles and having a father who owns a dealership I know all to well what happens without regular maintenance. I would have no issue keeping a regular maintenance schedule on a 250f. My only concern with a 125 is down the road will i want more? Im used to having a lot of power in my toys, I know bikes are a fraction of the weight of sleds so your power to weight must be greatly improved i would imagine?

Its not that were saying they are not good bikes, just maybe not as good of a choice for a beginner when maint. and money comes into play. Its just they are not as forgiving mechanically as a smoker if that person is not into meticulously maintaining a bike or payin a shop big $$$ to do it for them. Thats the only advantage I say the 2 strokes have over the 4 strokes designed for MX. I own both so Im not bashing just tryin to give helpful info to someone with no experience on the subject. It comes down to changing the oil and air filter on the two stroke to adjusting valves, checking clearances etc, etc. with the race thumpers:thumbsup:

I'm on the same exact same page w/ you:ride:, but there are some 2t zealots around here that swear modern thumpers ruined dirt bikes. On my 250f, I change the air filter every two rides if it's not too dusty and change the oil/oil filter/tranny oil every 3-4 rides and haven't had any valve problems. She starts up 1st or 2nd kick. Their (4t) motors are more complex for sure, though.

Coming off snowmobiles and having a father who owns a dealership I know all to well what happens without regular maintenance. I would have no issue keeping a regular maintenance schedule on a 250f. My only concern with a 125 is down the road will i want more? Im used to having a lot of power in my toys, I know bikes are a fraction of the weight of sleds so your power to weight must be greatly improved i would imagine?

Depending on how fast you pick it up, you will probably want a bigger bike in a few years if you get the 250f or the 125, but either bike should be enough power to start on. Try both out before hand if you get a chance, and jump at the best deal when you're ready to buy one.

Ive been riding/ racing for 13yrs now and still ride and on occasion race my 125 because its so much fun... and Im 220lbs. without gear, but it still has plenty of power... it can handle anything I throw at it. If your looking at getting into racing the 250f might be the better bike for you in the long run... Im not being biased just wanted to throw my opinion out there but from the sounds of things the maint wouldnt be a problem so I say see if you can ride both and see which you like better, both have advantages as well as disadvatages over the other. The 125 will have a harder hit than the 250f, but the 250f will pull the 125 everytime because of the torque and traction they provide. They are also leaps and bounds easier to go faster on for the beginner on the track. A 125 requires a lot of skill to get up to speed with most ppl on a 250f. So in the end it all comes down to personal preference, they are both amazing machines and both will suprise you with the power they actually have. To be honest not many people (excluding the pro level rider) can ride a 125 or a 250f to its full potential.

Thanks for all the help guys, I was talking to a friend last night about this as well and he happens to own two bikes an 07 ktm 250sxf and an 04 cr 125. He said he would gladly let me get some seat time on both to see which i prefer. He also is looking to get rid of the 125, so im kinda leaning that way as it would probably be a good starter bike and then i know what im getting too as far as the bike being mechanically sound. Any common issues with the 04 cr 125's?

Thanks again

NSP

Thanks for all the help guys, I was talking to a friend last night about this as well and he happens to own two bikes an 07 ktm 250sxf and an 04 cr 125. He said he would gladly let me get some seat time on both to see which i prefer. He also is looking to get rid of the 125, so im kinda leaning that way as it would probably be a good starter bike and then i know what im getting too as far as the bike being mechanically sound. Any common issues with the 04 cr 125's?

Thanks again

NSP

Well, you are combfortable on fast sleds and have some throttle control so dont be afraid of a bike having too much power. 125's are a good choice but i do want more power a lot of the time. 04 CR 125 is a good bike, i have an 03, but i have heard way better things about the 06+ YZ 125's. But definatley ride your buddies bikes some and you will get a better feel for what you want.