Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on RMX Carb

Hi Everyone: I have a 1996 Suzuki RMX250, which I bought about 1 year ago. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to ride it, but it is in pretty good shape. My biggest problem is getting the bike to idle, which it doesn't want to do. By the way, it has the stock PJ carb on it now. It does start OK, except when it's hot !!

I'm an older guy, and I have no interest in racing, etc. I just want to use the bike to ride trails, and develop my riding skills.

My question is this: when I search the forum, I see that a popular replacement carb is the Keihin PWK36 or 38. How much work or replacement parts will I need to buy or do to adapt this carb to my bike ? Are there models of these carbs which are preferred or are best to avoid?

Also, one of my tires is flat, and both of the tires look older. Does anyone have some recommendations for some good tires for trail use ?

Thanks,

Shining Turtle

PWK swap is dead easy, might have to use the cap from the PJ (so you can use same throttle cable) but the rest is very straightforward. Do it, it is so much better than PJ.

You will make hot starting with PJ easier if you drop the pilot jet, my PJ had a #60 pilot in it, waaay too big, terrible to start hot. Should be close to a #50.

Some people will warn you off the Powerjet versions of PWK (identified by having a couple of wires coming off it) but I used one without any issues at all, just ignore the wires (although you should block off powerjet internally, PM me if you go this route)

Try and get a PWK38 or 36 as the 35 and smaller use a different, smaller casting, will fit but a bit of a pain.

Take a bit of time to jet it right, ballpark jetting is easy to find with a google search or ask on here but a bit of fine tuning is worthwhile.

Tyre wise, everyone is different. I run Dunlop 952's, I found IRC's are good (and cheap) on the back and last forever but it is worthwhile to get a better quality front.

There are a few of us on here who have done the RMX PWK swap so please keep us informed of your progress, good luck 👍

Greetings fellow RMXer!

Whether you keep your current carb, or go with a replacement you're going to have to jet it. I'd try dialing in your PJ, then see if you need something different. A good place to start is in the FAQs section of this forum, which has links to threads like this one:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412662

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

How fresh is the topend? It's initially a race bike so it requires more maintanence than say an XR or TTR. I would look there before attempting to jet this bike along with a powervalve cleaning. A compression test is a good way of telling the topend is worn. I'm not sure of the RMX's but I know the RMs want about 180psi.

Ok, I just got my feet under me with the new system and they switched back. Anyways I have a 96 RM 250, and my friend has a 93 RMX. Both of us went to PWK airstrikers, and abandoned the erratic PJs. It is correct that you will need to use your PJ cap, but I would caution you to properly jet carb. Watch carefully which slide cut the PWK has, If it has a #5 youll probably need to lean the pilot, and the needle. If it has a #7 slide cut then you will probably end up with stock jetting to start out, then maybe even a shorter L1. I ended up with a 175 main, but we are in alot of sand in Michigan. You will love a PWK,

• Like 1