Sign in to follow this  

puddle of oil under forks

I went out to check on my crf150f this morning and after i pulled the cover off of it i noticed a puddle of oil. the oil is all over my brake and front disk, so i check my front brake reservoir and it was normal level. so i think that the oil is coming from the forks? fork seals? its a 2008 crf150f? any ideas? i have a set of bbr fork springs in there with 15wt oil. any help is appreciated, thanks 👍

best thing you can do it clean your forks real well and check back in a day or 2 see if theres anymore oil its more then likely the fork seals ..see if there is any dirt clods in between the seal and forks

• Like 1

I went out to check on my crf150f this morning and after i pulled the cover off of it i noticed a puddle of oil. the oil is all over my brake and front disk, so i check my front brake reservoir and it was normal level. so i think that the oil is coming from the forks? fork seals? its a 2008 crf150f? any ideas? i have a set of bbr fork springs in there with 15wt oil. any help is appreciated, thanks 👍

How big is the puddle? Have you ridden the bike since you changed the fork springs? I'm just trying to eliminate the possibility of it being oil that ran down the fork tube during the process of changing the fork springs.

best thing you can do it clean your forks real well and check back in a day or 2 see if theres anymore oil its more then likely the fork seals ..see if there is any dirt clods in between the seal and forks

alright ill do that thanks

How big is the puddle? Have you ridden the bike since you changed the fork springs? I'm just trying to eliminate the possibility of it being oil that ran down the fork tube during the process of changing the fork springs.

maybe 6 inches round. the springs were done a year ago.

alright ill do that thanks

maybe 6 inches round. the springs were done a year ago.

Sounds like the fork seals need to be replaced.

Sounds like the fork seals need to be replaced.

would you recommend taking it to a shop or should i do it myself?

would you recommend taking it to a shop or should i do it myself?

HERE is the thread I started that has the links to the CRF service manuals (150F and 230F). Download the one you need and take a look at the "front suspension" section and see if you think it's something you can do. It's pretty simple.

HERE is the thread I started that has the links to the CRF service manuals (150F and 230F). Download the one you need and take a look at the "front suspension" section and see if you think it's something you can do. It's pretty simple.

alright thank you. the only thing is i believe you need to buy fork seal drivers? which are like 100 here. so it might just be better to take it in? but ill check the service manual when its done downloading.

alright thank you. the only thing is i believe you need to buy fork seal drivers? which are like 100 here. so it might just be better to take it in? but ill check the service manual when its done downloading.

I think some people use PVC pipe that is the right diameter. Search this forum for "seal driver".

I think some people use PVC pipe that is the right diameter. Search this forum for "seal driver".

+1

I've used pvc pipe on over 15 bikes, of all different brands/types dirt/street

Just take a fork seal to the hardware store, and find a piece of pvc that comes close to matching it in size, then cut the piece of pvc length wise 👍

+1

I've used pvc pipe on over 15 bikes, of all different brands/types dirt/street

Just take a fork seal to the hardware store, and find a piece of pvc that comes close to matching it in size, then cut the piece of pvc length wise 👍

alright, thanks so from the videos on you tube it doesn't look that hard. i might do it myself

Call some shops and get quotes and compare it to your material and time costs shops around me charge 230 installed but I know a old yamaha mechanic who has his own shop at his house and he does them for 130 that's parts and labor so I just take it to him 2 days max usually he knocks it out see what's more worth it to you

Call some shops and get quotes and compare it to your material and time costs shops around me charge 230 installed but I know a old yamaha mechanic who has his own shop at his house and he does them for 130 that's parts and labor so I just take it to him 2 days max usually he knocks it out see what's more worth it to you

Thanks i have shot out a few emails already and awaiting reply so ill see.

Once you do your first set of fork seals, you'll be kicking yourself for ever paying anyone!

Takes me less then 2 hours to take them off the bike, change seals, and have the bike back up and running 👍