Anyone using the Acerbis 6.6 Gallon Tank?

I do a lot of desert riding, but like to play in mountains also. Yesterday I was the short man on fuel and that sucked.

Does anyone use the 6.6 Gallon tank or is it just to big/bulky/etc?

I am thinking I may go with the Clark 3.6 gallon, and if needed (ride specific) I could add a Safari Side Panel.

The question is how often do you ride distances the would require 6+ gallons of fuel? Those things are not only very big , but when filled, are very heavy. Just my opinion, but the Clarke tank seems to be more functional and make more sense.

The question is how often do you ride distances the would require 6+ gallons of fuel? Those things are not only very big , but when filled, are very heavy. Just my opinion, but the Clarke tank seems to be more functional and make more sense.

I rarely need that much gas. But I also don't know if the 3.6 will be enough all the time. I was afraid the 6.6 was going to be to big/heavy I am sure I will hear that from many, but I am curious if anyone is actually usinng it.

I am thinking I may go with the Clark 3.6 gallon,

Skip the Clarke tank...and go with the Acerbis 3.4 (see below)

For the 03-06 WR's I would highly recommend the Acerbis tank. The Acerbis tank does have a high profile by your balls but it isnt so close to the header with the right side bladder like the ims thank does. Also the Acerbis tank is a 3.3 gallon tank that holds closer to 3.47859 gallons (Read THIS). Lastly, your stock seat will work with the Acerbis tank with out modification.

Also when you go to run the fuel lines, I highly recommend going to the auto motive store and buying some automotive fuel lines (1/4") and a brass T (5/16"). This advice came from Clark the WR forum moderator and it was well worth it (HERE and HERE).

Here is a picture of the Acerbis tank installed on my 06:

P9060002.jpg

P2170027.jpg

PC030002.jpg

I have the 6.6 Acerbis tank on my WR450 down in Baja. There are times down there where there really can be 200+ miles between gas in some very remote places. I like it for that use.

But I would not want one for up here on the trails I ride while home. 200+ miles of range is total overkill.

Is the tank big, bulky, etc? Well it is most certainly bigger, bulkier, and heavier (when full) than a smaller tank! Sort of goes with the territory. At not point in time, however, has the size of the tank prevented me from having fun on the bike. I wouldn't trade it for anything else in teh Baja. Gas buys you distance _ water buys you time. Everything else is a luxury.

If you need that much range, it can't be beat. If you don't need it, well, getting something smaller makes sense.

P8140056.jpg

P8140054-1.jpg

• Like 1

I have an '09. This is is the tank I keep seeing when I search. ...and it is cheaper than the same size tank the TT store sells.

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_70_182&products_id=347

That is not a 6.6 gallon tank...

There was a guy who put one on his bike...Ill see if I can find the thread and post it up.

As for a tank for your 09, you will want to go with the IMS

I have an '09. This is is the tank I keep seeing when I search. ...and it is cheaper than the same size tank the TT store sells.

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_70_182&products_id=347

Its not 6.6...

check this post out

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8173912#post8173912

Didn't think it was a 6.6, this is same tank you recommended only for an '09... When I look at the Acerbis Tanks this is the one that comes up when I put in WR450 in that site and Acerbis' site.

I am confused, I was digging your recomendation, but know it sounds like I should look at the IMS again? I know you are one of the more knowledgeable guys, so I am wieghting your input heavily.

Basically I am done with the 6.6; now I need to make sure the tank I posted is as good in the TT'ers eyes as the style on your bike.

Sorry, if I am not clear. I apreciate the help greatly.

I have both the Acerbis 3.4/3.3 what ever for my 2004 and the 6.6G, I like them both as they both have a sweet spot for what they do.

The 6.6 something I have grown to like and I have gotten used to it. I know I can explore with out limits. For tight woods the smaller tank is the goto option. I would get both and have the best of both worlds. I do 200 mile days and then some so I use it.

Otherwise if runing out was occasional I would do a 3.4 and a side panel. If you still run out get the 6.6

Didn't think it was a 6.6, this is same tank you recommended only for an '09... When I look at the Acerbis Tanks this is the one that comes up when I put in WR450 in that site and Acerbis' site.

I am confused, I was digging your recomendation, but know it sounds like I should look at the IMS again? I know you are one of the more knowledgeable guys, so I am wieghting your input heavily.

Basically I am done with the 6.6; now I need to make sure the tank I posted is as good in the TT'ers eyes as the style on your bike.

Sorry, if I am not clear. I apreciate the help greatly.

The link i posted doesnt show the pictures anymore...sorry

if your looking for a tank for an 07+ wr get the ims tank.

your in san diego and ride the same areas i do...i can take long rides and get almost 130 miles on the ims tank and im not babying it

• 10 years later...

I also have a 6.6 gal on my 04 wr450.  Did a long trip, all my buddies were packing plastic quart jugs in their backpacks.  I was a mobile fuel station. The bike, given the size and weight of the larger tank, handled actually better compared to the stock tank, grounded much more with the fwd weight.  Had to make my own brackets as the tank came without.  If anyone needs my bracket layout scheme tag me and i'll send you some photos.