Sign in to follow this  

Turning?

i am fairly new to the track, but have ridden it before

On thing is for sure, i suck at turning. Any advice on how to turn, ive heard a million different things,

stick you foot out and swing the rear end around...

pull both brakes in...

I need to know how to do regular turns and berms, any help would be great, thanks.

Confidence in yourself and the bike is the most important part. The more you do it the more you will get used to it. Put your weight on the outside foot peg and keep yourself centered to a little forward on the bike. Lean the bike over a bit and keep your inside leg out to control and stabilize the bike if you should slip up. Always squeeze with your knees to keep the bike in control and where you want it to go. Keep your outside elbow up and keep a finger on the clutch to keep the bikes power up. Always be looking ahead and not right in front of you. Just practice practice practice.

do i need to brake at all when i turn, or does it just depend on how fast i'm going. Another thing is how fast do i need to be going, if its a berm.

suspension, confidence, speed, commitment and body position... once I got my suspension dialed in it was alot easier to take corners at speed with more confidence. Keep your weight on the outside peg and slightly forward to keep the front of the bike planted and dont be afraid to keep twisting the throttle while working the clutch. That might be the single most important thing I learned at the riding school I attended was to trust the bike and stay on the throttle... same goes for the whoops! Took me a while to get used to it but once I just decided to go for it, it seemed to come so easy... now Im railing corners like its my job. Only time its ever bit me in the ass was from leaning too far and caught my bars on the ground from being in a deep rut. Its 90% confidence.

Look through the turn where you want to go not where you are. the bike and body will follow the eyes. Really weighting the outside footpeg helped my hugely when I was on TT asking the same question. Like they said it is confidence and correct position, which comes from practice, practice, practice.

Look through the turn where you want to go not where you are. the bike and body will follow the eyes. Really weighting the outside footpeg helped my hugely when I was on TT asking the same question. Like they said it is confidence and correct position, which comes from practice, practice, practice.

This, in my opinion, is the most important thing when riding even when not turning.

I'm new too and probably suck more than you but new tires really changed my bike completely. I went from old and totally rounded off Dunlop 746's to brand new MX51's and the difference was night and day.

If you can, find a local pro that gives lessons and take one. There are so many variables with cornering. There is technique in how you sit, cause if you sit too quickly you load the suspension and it unloads and stands you up, think of it like a one leg squat to the peg, nice and smoothe. You also have to weight the pegs, which will come natually if your foot position is correct. There is a lot which is why I say take a lesson. The lessons have totally changed my riding style and have increased my corner speed dramatically

The way that i take a corner is situation dependant, as i ride a 4 stroke i find it slows very quickly once i've laid off the throttle, however the rear brake means you can accelerate before a corner then slow down, rather than just take the whole section slowly. I find the wheel can slide out but as long as it slides away from the apex of the corner that normally doesn't matter. I feather the clutch sometimes and occassionally the front brake.

Leg generally goes out but some cornes I take standing, always good to keep foot parallel to wheel and ground because apparantly reduces risk of your foot catching and knee dislocating. Weight always hits the outside peg. Always fun to open the throttle up at the end flicking the back out and straightneing bike up.

Much Much Much more efficient to slow before a corner and accelerate around it. Rather than braking in the corner or some other variation.

If you Practice your body will begin to adjust its self more naturally and reract to a situation, rather than you thinking about it.

Good luck with your cornering.

Turnig a dirt bike is 100% different than a quad and a street bike. If you have ridden either this will help. On a quad and a street bike you lean to the inside of the corner.

CornerHaulling.jpg

On a dirt bike you want to lean to the outside of the corner and place weight on the outside peg. At the same time you want to lean the bike to the inside of the corner.

corneringdirt.jpg

Body position is also very important like others have said. The further forward you can be on the bike, the more weight you keep on the front tire. Doing this keeps the front end from washing out and gives you more control on where you go through out the turn. Arms up and in the atack position gives you more control over your controls and bars.