Sign in to follow this  

yz250 cold-start problem

I have a 95 YZ250 and lately I have had trouble starting it cold. I have tried choking it/not choking it/throttle open/etc....with no luck. The only sure-fire way to get it going is to bump-start it which I hate to have to do. Any suggestions? The top-end was rebuilt last year, however it has been in storage for the winter and ever since taking it out of storage a few weeks ago I have had trouble starting it cold. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

I would get the compression tested just to be safe. Also, take the carb apart and clean it really well. Check the air filter, airbox and boot to make sure you have a good seal or nothing is clogging it up. Check the reeds, those can cause a lot of problems if they need replaced. If the piston is relatively new and in good shape, maybe replace the rings. How is the spark plug? Is it getting a good hot spark?

What is your cold start method? On my bike, I usually lean it over til gas comes out the over flow tube. Twist the throttle a couple of times, pull the choke, push the kicker a couple of time, then get it at TDC and give a good kick without touching the throttle. Usually starts is a couple kicks when cold.

1st thing that comes to mind is to clean carb. If it sat with a float bowl full of gas, your carb is now full of varnish. As William noted, it's probably better to replace the pilot, it's such a small opening that getting it clean will be difficult. Also, might need new reeds. If everything else checks out and the bike is hard to start, worn reeds can be a culprit.

How does the bike idle once it's started?