Idle adjustment question

My bike stalls and won't idle

Before I adjust the idle screw, i want to get it straight

Turning to the left, (turning the screw out) does what?

Turning to the right, (Turning the screw in) does what?

I have a 2005 rm250

thank you for your help

The idle screw has a tapered tip. When you turn it in or out it adjusts how high up the taper the throttle slide sits. Turing it in increases your idle by opening the the slide to allow more air and fuel in and turning it out does the reverse.

I don't think he's talking about the idle screw as it takes two seconds and 1/2 a turn to figure out if your idle goes up or down and I bet he means his air screw which, BTW, he should be adjusting first anyhow!

no, its the idle screw, has a spring on it, uses a flat head screwdriver (on my model) and can turn it with my fingers while sitting on the bike.

I simply was asking because I like to understand how things work. I can warm the bike up and then adjust it and figure out for myself, but was also curious as to the 'why' part.

Ok, then, simply put it's the same as righty tighty and lefty loosey!

Turning to the right pushes the screw into the the slide area stopping it from going down as far. Note, you can't just turn it in and the slide will raise, but you have to turn the throttle and let the slide drop back down to see where your new idle is. It's not like an idle screw on a car.