Sign in to follow this  

KTM issue with getting bike down to idle

I'm not sure of the exact definition of a hanging idle, but here is what my bike is doing.

It's a 2005 KTM200 with a Kehnin carb (I am pretty sure w/o TPS).

The bike ran fine previously and I had some posts on here about a starting issue. In order to troubleshoot the starting issue, I used starting fluid 👍:banghead: and I now know how horrible it is for a motor.

Anyhow, it starts fine and even runs pretty well, but when I am riding the revs bounce (hi then low) to a bit lower of a RPM but it never settles into a nice smooth idle.

Air screw is about 1.75 turns out.

Carb specs are:

185 main

45 pilot

Blue needle 4th position

65 slide

If I could describe the sound as I let off the gas it sounds like nuun, nuun, nuun, nuun, nuun and it keeps doing this. Again the rpm's drop a bit each time it revs, but it will not get down into an smooth idle. With my hands off the throttle and at a stop, it's still going nuun, nuun, nuun at a rather high RPM.

Could the reeds have become damaged from the starting fluid and need replacing? I have pulled the carb and cleaned it 5 times in the last 2 weeks and I know it's clean and not plugged up.

Any thoughts?

Edited by deeman

Sounds like to me with out looking at it first hand that you have an air leak in the base/head gasket area. when you suck air /rpm raise and the bike will run very leak. enough in most cases to fry a piston. using starting fliud in never a good idea even if it does work you should never need to use it if all things are as they should be. also check for a cracked air boot .........