Summer's coming, I want to go camping!

Who's towing a travel trailer (TT) with their 1/2 ton truck, with bikes in the back?

What size trailer can your truck tow well?

I towed a 17 foot TT with my 2001 supercrew, 5.4L, and it did ok. I was slow going on the grades and got about 9-10mpg going 55-60 in 3rd gear. I have to take the tailgate off and put the back tires on bumper. I now have a 22 foot, 4 season trailer (5500# wet) and I'm thinking I need a 3/4 ton truck. A lot of the newer 1/2 tons advertise 10K lbs tow capacity. What's your experience? Miles per gallon?

Thanks in advance.

Who's towing a travel trailer (TT) with their 1/2 ton truck, with bikes in the back?

What size trailer can your truck tow well?

I towed a 17 foot TT with my 2001 supercrew, 5.4L, and it did ok. I was slow going on the grades and got about 9-10mpg going 55-60 in 3rd gear. I have to take the tailgate off and put the back tires on bumper. I now have a 22 foot, 4 season trailer (5500# wet) and I'm thinking I need a 3/4 ton truck. A lot of the newer 1/2 tons advertise 10K lbs tow capacity. What's your experience? Miles per gallon?

Thanks in advance.

i did that for 2 years, if you only go 2 or 3 times a year then not that big of a deal. i go 8-12 times per year and threw down for a d-max $16k

^^^ What he said

I used to pull the wifes 25' bumper hitch camper w/ a 96 tundra, we got where we were going BUT we didn't set any speed records and it can get mighty spooky on a windy day.

with the 4.7 I'd get anywhere from 8-10 mpg... funny now that i think about it, i got that mpg pulling my 6x12 trailer also ??

The real problem is payload...after you load up your bike and you, how much payload rating do you have left for the trailer tongue weight?...That trailer should have about 600 lbs of tongue weight.

It's not that it can't be done, just long as you know it will be close...

So, big deal if you drop down to 45 mph in 2nd gear up grades...up until about 10 years ago the was the norm and there are still plenty of people who haven't popped for the latest diesel monster...including me!

I towed my old (1969) 16ft with a 1/2 ton. It is a really heavy trailer for a 16ft'er. It worked, and if I was happy with a smaller trailer I would have kept the 1/2 ton. I want a bigger toyhauler so I got a diesel. It can be done with a gasser, probably safest with a 3/4 ton an big block if not diesel.