Sign in to follow this  

TTR Transmission?

Well im sure my clutch blew on my ttr, i put it in gear and it barley moves when you give it throttle. I took the side case off and as soon as i pulled it off there was a long skinny spring, probably about 6-8 inches. I think it was under the oil pump screen but cant remember, anyways i looked on every diagram and cannot find what this spring is for. I thought my clutch was gone but it may just be this spring? or it could also be a bad clutch and the spring maybe part of other problem? The bike was running fine right before but anyone have any clue what this spring is? I can post a pic if needed but 6-8 inches long skinny tight spring bent on one end

Edit:

img269.imageshack.us/img269/4058/dsc0012o.jpg

img202.imageshack.us/img202/9269/dsc0013o.jpg

img695.imageshack.us/img695/6231/dsc0014hj.jpg

The one end is the one that was ripped? other end was perfect.

The pic with red line is where im sure i pulled it from, right below the screen. I have no clue where this is from!?

Edit:

So i finally brought the spring in and buddy said he has no clue where that is from on the bike. He said it looks like a spring band that's inside of a bearing to hold the rollers in, Which then he said it may not be my clutch but moreso my transmission. So we looked at diagrams for the tranny and there is no big enough bearing that would require this size of spring band. Anyone else with TTR have any clue where that would be from? I dont really want to have to split the case without knowing what to look for.. Any help? Me love u long time!

Is this an E start model? There is only one spring, that I know of, that looks like that. It doesn't explain all of your symptoms, though.

If this is an E-start, there is a spring band around the starter clutch rollers. You would need to pop the flywheel on the stator side.... but you should have the chunkies of the rollers everywhere.

-Kerry

I agree, that looks like a spring band, you usually see them on rubber boots, you also do not see them in dust seals and oil seals, but they are often there. I bet that some how it came out of one of your seals, which is why you're not finding it on the parts diagram, it's part of a part on the diagram.

The odd thing though is it's 8" long, that's a 2.5" or so inside diameter seal.

You've got a really good mystery on your hands with that one.

Is this an E start model? There is only one spring, that I know of, that looks like that. It doesn't explain all of your symptoms, though.

If this is an E-start, there is a spring band around the starter clutch rollers. You would need to pop the flywheel on the stator side.... but you should have the chunkies of the rollers everywhere.

-Kerry

Yup it is a E start model. I just looked at at the diagram for it at http://www.bikebandit.com free diagrams and i seen what your talking about. If that was to be from there is it possible that the "metal pieces" could be to big fit thru whatever is in there, cause i found the piece where the oil pump screen is and the size of that space compared to the size of those rollers, the rollers almost look to big to fit thru, so could it be possible thats that was it is but the balls are inside the case or how would that work,,

And yeah also about the seals,, if the spring is 8inches the seal would have to be 8 right? so thats not where it would be from, correct me if im wrong? Also for the last year the electric start hasent been working ive just always kicked it,,i just thought it was a dead battery, but, could that have anything to do with that spring and then maybe my current problem just be the clutch?

I really dont have much experience with it, trying to fix it up and learn but this one has stumped me to

Edit, Just did some more googling and is this what you mean?

http://www.dirtybiking.co.uk/features/tech_stuff/ttr250_starter_rebuild_web_pix_e/sprag_startring0030crp.jpg

I ordered a manual but its going to take 6-8 weeks to get here and obviously id rather ride it before then, if anyone can search there diagrams or have any other experience and give me the tip to fix it ill paypal you something nice 👍

The rollers from the starter clutch are heavy enough that they should stay in the bottom of the case... pretty good size. They are not perfectly round or cylindrical.

If it is your starter clutch the e-start will not work, since you need the starter clutch to be able to engage the starter motor's rotating energy to the crank.

The best way is to pull the stator cover and pop the flywheel off. Sounds easy, but you'll need a fly wheel puller. I loosen the allen heads in the flywheel, as those are the ones that connect that starter clutch to your flywheel. Then pop the flywheel off. A nice thing to have if you don't have a strap wrench is an impact driver for the crank mounted flywheel nut...

-Kerry

I think it just might be the oil seal from the crank case cover .The end of the crank goes in to it.That's the spring part of it the rest is like rubber .

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=199393&manufacturer=6&category=3&year=2006&model=4534

Part 24 OIL SEAL (2FJ)

93101-10142-00

Could allso be from:http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=199395&manufacturer=6&category=3&year=2006&model=4534

Part # 7 STARTER ONE-WAY AS

4TU-15590-00-00

And yeah also about the seals,, if the spring is 8inches the seal would have to be 8 right?
No, the spring goes around the circumference of the seal, so it would be 8/pi or roughly 2.5" diameter for a single wrap around the seal.

alright so today i pulled the flywheel off to check that starter Part7 and i can see the rollers and also the spring is still there intact, i am now going to look at the part24 tonight the oil seal, but my problem from first was the bike wouldent move, thats why i looked at starterclutch first, if its only a seal, that shouldent stop my bike from moving right? unless the seal went and broke something else? thanks for all your help, so much

I agree, that looks like a spring band, you usually see them on rubber boots, you also do not see them in dust seals and oil seals, but they are often there. I bet that some how it came out of one of your seals, which is why you're not finding it on the parts diagram, it's part of a part on the diagram.

The odd thing though is it's 8" long, that's a 2.5" or so inside diameter seal.

You've got a really good mystery on your hands with that one.

I also agree that it is indeed a spring band from some sort of seal.

Are their seals on the crank that seperate gear oil from crankcase oil on TTR's?

I believe that some crank seals have this type of spring band.

I also agree that it is indeed a spring band from some sort of seal.

Are their seals on the crank that seperate gear oil from crankcase oil on TTR's?

I believe that some crank seals have this type of spring band.

Im not sure what you mean, 2 different spots where to put in oil? Im going to take picture of both sides of case high def so you guys can see, im really a newb at this

Edit

Side1

http://img52.imageshack.us/i/dsc0134cq.jpg/

Side2

http://img532.imageshack.us/i/dsc0133ps.jpg/

Starter Clutch

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/dsc0132xf.jpg/

Edited by kostyb

Like someone else said, the starter clutch "return spring" looks like the ideal candidate, but you can see it's still there in the photo.

You've got a good mystery on your hands. Is it at all possible that a sloppy tech replaced the starter clutch and didn't clean out the bits of spring left over?

To answer your other question, it's possible that a piece of that spring could get into anything which would keep the engine from turning, the gears between the crank and the clutch would be a prime example of such a place.

Did you try turning the engine backwards 1/8th or so of a turn on the crank to see if it spits anything out?

alright so today i pulled the flywheel off to check that starter Part7 and i can see the rollers and also the spring is still there intact,
That's good to hear... that was prime canididate for not being able to e-start and the spring.
i am now going to look at the part24 tonight the oil seal, but my problem from first was the bike wouldent move, thats why i looked at starterclutch first, if its only a seal, that shouldent stop my bike from moving right? unless the seal went and broke something else? thanks for all your help, so much
Seals usually don't cause breaks, just leaks. As far as I can remember, there are no seals on the TTR engine large enough to have a springband that long.

I'm stumped. You bought this new, right? Otherwise, all bets are off. Heck, even new, you could have a boo-boo off the production line.

Hope you figure this out.

-Kerry

Well thank you so much! Id still be at step1. The seal is still good to? I got it 2 years old but case was never opened or anything..hmm. My friend before all of this just told me to try adjust my clutch and put covers on and fill er up with oil and try it, but i thought it was more,,Ive came to the point where it almost might be just that and its is something off production line, that happens sometimes right. Im gonna put it back together and hopefully it will work