Sign in to follow this  

1995 rmx 250

Hey guys, got a few questions concerning my RMX 250. First, the engine blew quite a bit earlier than expected. Is there ANY reson for this beside just wear and tear. I want to hear anything, even if it is unlikely as to why this may have happened. I dont race, but trail ride, and hillclimbs. Also i just wanted some tips as to help give me a little more wheelie capability. Remove flywheel wheight is what i've heard. Thanks

uhh, well your water pump could have gone out, or your piston ring gap could have been to small, or your tolerances on the piston/bore could have been wrong, too tight or too big. not enough 2 stroke oil, revving the bike too high, riding in the power band constantly. there are SO many things

It kinda depends on your expectations of topend life.

I would say any more than 40 hours and you are pushing it, some people will claim 5 or 10 times that but doesnt make it good practice.

Can you expand as to what actually failed and when. Powervalve dropping into cylinder and hitting piston isnt uncommon on RMX but that would be obvious once apart.

When rebuilding use 89 RM250 head gasket and cut mesh out of exhaust, fit PWK carb and sort jetting. Totally transforms bike.

Dont remove flywheel weight if you trail ride and hillclimb.

What do you mean by the "engine blew"? The RMX was designed to be a woods racer, not a play bike. That means it needs regular maintenance: ring, piston, water pump seal, suspension bearings, etc.

If you want more wheelie capability the easiest thing to do is change your gearing.

There was a big hole in my oiston, and the walls were pretty messed up. other than that there were no signs as to what failed. I checked and rechecked my oil mixture. 40:1. I really dont ride it on the powerband unless i'm hitting a really steep hill. Where is the water pump seal located on the engine. sorry, pretty new to dirtbikes, especially 2 strokes. Thanks for all the help.

hole in the piston? sounds like either you tightened your spark plug too much and it hit the piston, or your plug was way to high in the heat range. what plug were you running?