Sign in to follow this  

To clean carb or not? DR650

I just picked up a 2001 DR650 in awesome shape for cheap with only 1200 original miles. I rode it home from where I bought it and started doing the basic maintainance stuff. When I got to the air filter, I saw that I was dealing with the original air filter (or what was left of it). It looks like a lot of the foam made its way into the carb.

My questions is, should I take apart the carb to clean it? The bike runs great with the new filter and feels like it breaths better. I've never pulled a carb apart before and wanted to know if this may help it or if I could end up doing more harm than good and how easy is it for somebody with basic mechanical experience.

If anyone can lend some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I plan on picking up a FMF Q4 slip on for it. I will do the header pipe later on when I can afford it. Do I need to re-jet the carb when I do the slip on or not?

Thanks

First thought might be if it aint broke dont fix it. The other thought might be the bike is running great but could run better if the carb was cleaned out, I would opt for the cleaning, that way you would remove all doubt.

Most carbs arent that complicated so taking one apart and cleaining it isnt that big of a deal. Go to youtube.com and check out the videos of guys taking apart and cleaning bike carbs. That should give you some idea of what you would be getting into.