Sign in to follow this  

250sx vs. Xc vs. Xc-w?

I know know this question has probably been asked a few times here, but what are the differences between a 250sx, 250xc, and a 250xc-w? I just sold my Kx250f not long ago and have decided to go to a 250 2-stroke after I spent at least $1200.00 rebuilding the top end. I race maybe once a month, spend a lot of time on practice tracks, and spend at least a day week in the woods.

Also, I have never even rode a KTM before. I know they are famous for their engine performance, but how do they handle? I'm a small guy (5'6'' 155lbs w/o gear), will that make a difference? I don't want another poor handling bike. I had an 04 CRF450 and hated how that bike handled. Any other Jap

250f converts here?

I know I ask a lot of questions, but it is cause I am seriously considering it. It will probably be late September or October before I buy, will the 2011 models be out before them? I hope they look like the 350's I seen pics of. Those look bad ass!

Myself and a few other guys have switched from Xc's to the 250sx, it's $1200 less and 10 pounds lighter due to no electric start.

You take the 1200.00 you would have spent on the electric start novelty, buy an Ohlins TTX shock and adjust the mid-valving on the forks if your an off-road rider.

Now you'll have an incredible bike.

Thanks for the feedback. But still, what are the differences between the three besides the addition of the electric start on the XC & XC-W?

Thanks for the feedback. But still, what are the differences between the three besides the addition of the electric start on the XC & XC-W?

Many just buy the XC or XCW and add the 250SX head later on. That is a great combo. The SX head has porting developed for a stronger pull with some hit whereas the XC and XCW are meant to have not hit with a milder pull.

Of course it has a 19 rear wheel, no lighting stator, and no kickstand either.

I believe you'll need an 09+ to have the best handling KTM.

sx more moto then woods, snappier engine, stiffer suspension, mostly liked buy riders on the track more then the woods but super fast woods riders like the bike in the woods also.

xc, motor power-band not as snappy, suspension more for woods and less harsh

xcw wide ration transmission more for being able to ride fire roads at 60 and sofest woods suspension.

The KTMs come with 3 springs to control the hit on the power valve and what RPM it turns on in addition to other adjustments to take out or give a bigger snap to the motor.

Best bikes money can buy!

If you hit the track mostly, go with the SX for the reasons mentioned above. It's a stripped down track bike with the most aggressive power (high compression, different ignition map, etc. It's like the difference between a yamaha YZ (SX) and a WR (XC-W).

The XC and XC-W are the enduro bikes- 18" rear wheel, kick stand, lighting coil so you can add a head light, electric start on some models, softer open cartridge forks for better compliance on trails.

The W model gives you a higher 4th and 5th gear, even softer suspension, and mellower power hit. Although mine still hauls butt. I can add an SX head and get almost the same power as the SX if I wanted it. But I ride hard trails mostly so I like the softer power, cushy suspension, and electric start.

The SX is the cheapest too! But it'll cost ya to convert it for the woods.

If you hit the track mostly, go with the SX for the reasons mentioned above. It's a stripped down track bike with the most aggressive power (high compression, different ignition map, etc. It's like the difference between a yamaha YZ (SX) and a WR (XC-W).

huh? YZ is a 2-stroke...WR is a 4 stroke. Not a good comparison.

I have an 06 250 XC-W with the SX head. I love this bike. I revalved the suspension for better woods handling. The XC-W also comes with a computer/speedometer. I came from riding a 06 Honda CR250 and am way happier on an orange bike. Oh, and the kickstand is awesome for trail riding when you want to take a break and enjoy the scenery.

But if you're a track rider.... then yes, I hear the SX is the way to go. cheaper

also...the electric start is only necessary for racing purposes. If you crash or stall when you're dead tired, electric start is great to get you right back in the race without expending energy. If you're just a casual rider with friends, then man up and kickstart the bike. it's only a 250

huh? YZ is a 2-stroke...WR is a 4 stroke. Not a good comparison.

I have an 06 250 XC-W with the SX head. I love this bike. I revalved the suspension for better woods handling. The XC-W also comes with a computer/speedometer. I came from riding a 06 Honda CR250 and am way happier on an orange bike. Oh, and the kickstand is awesome for trail riding when you want to take a break and enjoy the scenery.

But if you're a track rider.... then yes, I hear the SX is the way to go. cheaper

I meant YZ250F vs WR250F- as in enduro vs. motocross. Nothing really to do with the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke.

Thanks guys. Do you think the 2011's will get all the updates the 350 4-stroke has? Do they usually release them to dealers in September?

A few more things.

The reasons the SX is snappier / faster / more power is in part due to a lighter flywheel and crank, different head (higher compression and different squish dimensions), more aggressive ignition mapping (timing advance), possibly different port timing (never sure about that one ?).

The SX also has a 19" rear wheel. The others are 18". The different tire profiles between the two give them both the same tire outer diameter. The 18" tires have a higher profile and are better for the woods, with the 19" being better for MX. Some serious woods riders on an SX change to an 18" wheel/tire. On really gnarly stuff the 18" probably would be better, soak up more of the little stuff, cause less deflection, be more forgiving and not bending rims, less pinch flats while running lower tire pressure, some think clean better in mud, and some good off road tires don't come in 19" (more options with 18"). Many off road tires hold up better then MX tires in the woods (compounds and tread pattern). The 19" is lighter (more aluminum, less rubber), less sidewall flex, most MX tires come in 19" but the selection is lower.

The SX have dual chamber closed cartridge forks starting in 2007. Not sure about the others, but I think some still have open chamber forks.

BTW I like the SX in the woods, still running the 19" rear. I would like to get an 18" rear wheel and try it.

Edited by Gary jp4
Added more info about 18" vs 19" rear wheel and tires.
  • Like 1

All the points above I think cover the differences pretty well. For the conditions and riding you describe, the SX will probably be the best choice, and you might add a used XC tank (look in the ktmtalk classifieds) for offroad riding.

My riding is similar to ours, but with more bias towards HS racing and offroad. I chose the SX with minimal mods (big tank, FWW, and revalve), and came out well under the price of the XC. I also did not care about the electric start. My bike rarely if ever stalls under race conditions.

The W model gives you a higher 4th and 5th gear,

And 5th is pretty darn high on my 250xcw. Annoying in deep sand as you go from 'on the pipe' to 'chugging' as soon as you shift. You can slip the clutch and get it back on the pipe but you have to be comfortable at riding 70+mph which I am not unless I am on a highway 👍

I do love the low first gear of the XCW though. Somewhere on 'The KTM site' where was a chart that showed the different ratios etc. I'll see if I can find it and post it here for reference.

if you download the owners manual off the KTM website for free- it has the gear ratios and also lists all the differences between the XC and XC-W models in the specs. Mine has 200-250-300 specs also.

I also forgot that the XC and XC-W have almost 3 gallon gas tanks too.

How does the 250sx handle compared to the YZ250?

Depends on the year whereas the 2006+ YZ250 all handle the same (great).

The 2010 250sx comes with 22mm triple clamps, it's not huge but it gives the bike a more planted feel while corning, much like the YZ.

This is also is the first KTM I've had that, doesn't need a steering damper, the twichyness at the bars seems to have gone away, we'll see when it gets rockier.