Dual sport tire information

I'm curious if Thumper Talk has a thread evaluating dual sport tires.

I just found this one for the KLR650 that should be relevant for the XR650 as well:

http://www.standoutnet.com/extras/mike/motorcycles/klr650/tires/

Usually tire discussions don't even cover half a dozen different ones, so it's hard to determine if the exact one that I need is on the list or not. The above discussion covers 28 tires, although a few don't say much (and a few say way too much).

What percent are you riding on/off?
Mostly street, but trying to get more dirt riding in. I currently have IRC GP-110 tires and am totally happy with how they work on the street. They're okay in the dirt, but not in mud, and I tend to slide into ruts when going up hills. Other than that I'm happy with them.

so 80% on 20% off. you will be hard pressed to find a tire that will perform in the mud unless you start looking at a 80%off/20%on tire like a MT21 or D606. the IRC GP1 performs only slightly better than the IRC GP tire. Meztler make a DOT 6 days extreme tire that performs fairly good both on and off road. however once you pass the 50%on/50%off tire line you can expect poor wet pavement performance and maybe 2000 miles on a rear tire 2500 on a front tire. my buddy has a set of kenda trailmaster 2 tires on his drz650 he has problems on the really muddy trails, i think he is going to buy another set because it was a good compromise for him. I on the other hand run non-DOT knobbies on my duel sport bike but it ride it 90%off/10%on.

I have run the TKC80's front and rear, and they are a great dual sport tire. Very predictable on pavement (actually dragged a foot peg turning hard), and good offroad on anything but deep sand, or gumbo mud. If I didn't ride in loose deep sand as much as I do I would still be running them. They also last a long time, I had over 5000 miles on my rear and still had half of the tread. Front had 7000 when I changed it and it was 3/4 tread.

so 80% on 20% off. you will be hard pressed to find a tire that will perform in the mud unless you start looking at a 80%off/20%on tire like a MT21 or D606. the IRC GP1 performs only slightly better than the IRC GP tire. Meztler make a DOT 6 days extreme tire that performs fairly good both on and off road. however once you pass the 50%on/50%off tire line you can expect poor wet pavement performance and maybe 2000 miles on a rear tire 2500 on a front tire. my buddy has a set of kenda trailmaster 2 tires on his drz650 he has problems on the really muddy trails, i think he is going to buy another set because it was a good compromise for him. I on the other hand run non-DOT knobbies on my duel sport bike but it ride it 90%off/10%on.

+1

well said! dude 90%off/10%on that is the goal!­čĹŹ

I would run the non-dot but if you get in a wreck the insurance will not pay out. I just ran the 6 day extreme rear tire it was gone fast. I like the 6 day on the front:thumbsup:I did'nt like the 606 but that was the best so far. anyone try this one Michelin ac-10 $59.00 and dot. time to call tt and get it 110% Low Price Guarantee and try it out

0000_Michelin_AC_10_Enduro-MX_Rear_Tire_--.jpg

Yea, that tire above doesn't look like it would last long at all on the street.

Looks good for off road though. You can get a good idea on how well the tire will perform just by looking at it - look at how much space is between the knobs.

also want to mention there are two DOT tires I can recommend

on the front, the pirelli scorpion pro is awesome (and does highway speeds on the road just fine too) - its road manners are a tad funky when brand new, so just take it offroad and scuff it up, dirt, puddles, etc - I like this one so much, I won't even bother trying another tire up front - it's aggressive and competent on just about any surface

on the rear, I like the mt21 a lot because it hooks up offroad and has great road manners - the road wear is faster than I'd like but keeping it offroad more will obviously make it last much longer - I might try a 606 next just for comparison since I'm curious as to whether it performs better offroad or not

without rim locks I've aired both of these pirellis down to the low-mid teens on the xrl - so long as you're riding dirt and not big rocks, they should be fine at lower psi

Yea, that tire above doesn't look like it would last long at all on the street.

Looks good for off road though. You can get a good idea on how well the tire will perform just by looking at it - look at how much space is between the knobs.

well I will check in to that i ordered it:smirk: