Security: don't fool yourself

Thought it might be valuable to post this as it might help someone else. For many of you I won't be telling you anything you didn't already know.

I had two cable chains wrapped around the front and rear tires of the bikes in the garage. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to unlock one of the locks and discovered that the locking mechanism was frozen. I gave the key a little too much gusto and the key broke off inside the mechanism. At this point, I was thinking..."what do I do now?"

So, I got my wimpy hobby duty Dremel out and set it up with a small cutting disc (you know the kind that shatters into a million pieces!). I proceeded to cut the cable thinking to myself..."I'm going to be here for awhile".

To my amazement, and I am NOT embellishing this, I was able to cut through the cable in about 10 seconds! The cable was between 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter (Kryptonite). Supposedly the good kind too--finely braided.

That's disappointing! So have you figured out a new plan for security?

CAMM

I realize that my realistic goal is simply to slow a thief down or to discourage the attempt. I just didn't realize that a cable chain would be so quick and easy to cut through! There is no foolproof option. From what I have read though, a large hardened chain may be my best option.

What you could do is go ahead a put a cable through the wheels like they would expect to see. Then tie a string to one of the wheels and run into the corner of the garage to a small 1x1x5 board. Then stack something (tin cans, tin roofing, office water bottles) in front of the board. They will concentrate on the cables, and when they cut it and roll the bike away, caos will ensue. They won't know if anyone heard the noise or not, but they aren't going to hang around to find out. You could also string booby trap all the entrances to the garage too. That way they will trip over the string going into the garage and when all the glass jars and flourescent bulbs come crashing down, they will make a u-turn, run and squeal like a sissy pig.

One of my favorites is train air horns going off in a shop or garage. Even if they wanted to hang around, they couldn't. A car horn mounted out of sight works well inside a car too. Quite deafening it is, you can't concentrate to cut the wires.

Noise is a great deterent.

What you could do is go ahead a put a cable through the wheels like they would expect to see. Then tie a string to one of the wheels and run into the corner of the garage to a small 1x1x5 board. Then stack something (tin cans, tin roofing, office water bottles) in front of the board. They will concentrate on the cables, and when they cut it and roll the bike away, caos will ensue. They won't know if anyone heard the noise or not, but they aren't going to hang around to find out. You could also string booby trap all the entrances to the garage too. That way they will trip over the string going into the garage and when all the glass jars and flourescent bulbs come crashing down, they will make a u-turn, run and squeal like a sissy pig.

One of my favorites is train air horns going off in a shop or garage. Even if they wanted to hang around, they couldn't. A car horn mounted out of sight works well inside a car too. Quite deafening it is, you can't concentrate to cut the wires.

Noise is a great deterent.

You're right. I need to figure out how to add noise to the equation!

My father always told me... "never leave the garage door open".

Don't show them what you have. I believe a neibor kid will think your stuffs cool, and talk about it to all his friends. One of his friends is, or knows a thief. Neibor kid knows your schedule. I love to be a good neibor, and the kid down the street rides. He buys/trades shitty bikes all year long. He rolls them to my house, and always asks for help... ( my responce is always.. sure, got a manual? lol) I always work on his machines at his house, and more than not with his tools.

Only my personal friends come into my Guy Land... not the neibor kid.

Edited by Baxtah
typo

Oh yea, add in a strobe light in with the train horns, and they will vomit if they hang around any length of time.

You know those little alarms meant for women to carry in their purses? The pullcord kind that can be heard for a mile? I rigged my garage with one and ended up just about giving my old man a heart attack. He's still pissed.?

You know those little alarms meant for women to carry in their purses? The pullcord kind that can be heard for a mile? I rigged my garage with one and ended up just about giving my old man a heart attack. He's still pissed.?

My M.I.L. had one, it's an ear piercing shrill. It made my ears water and my ears are still ringing.

They are small, cheap and easy to rig up to anything. When they go off, you can't tell where the noise is coming from.

When we used to race mx with our TH, we used a big heavy chain through the levelers on the TH and kept the little air vent door that was right there open. We always have 2 labs with us and when I kept that little air vent door open the dogs can hear is anyone is outside messing with that chain. Worked out nicely one time.

We have since upgraded to an RV and now we have a box trailer that we roll the bikes in and lock it up for the night. Even with that we use the 'hockey puck' type locks so they can't just be cut with bolt cutters.

Yes, I say go with a Siberian Husky or German Shepard as a guard. When you hear the dog, pick up your shotgun and load it with rubber slugs or a bean bag and shot them and knock them out. That gives you a minute to tie them to a chair and torture them Navy SEAL stlye. Knock them out again and dump them in an alley and when they wake up, I can garuntee you they wont do that again. ?