Homemade 2-stroke pipe guard

I decided I didn't want to spend $100+ on a carbon fiber pipe guard so I went about trying to find out how to make my own pipe guard. I started looking through the site and found a post by a member recommending making one out of fiberglass and reinforced with metal. So here is how I did it for under $30.

The supplies I got at Lowe's; fiberglass resin with hardener, fiberglass, cheap paint brush, pipe hanger strap, and two hose clamps. I used tin foil and spray paint I had around the house.

100_0378.jpg

The first step was cutting the pipe hanger and bending it around the pipe. It comes in a roll and is easy to work with. I cut and bent about 9 pieces to fit about 1-3 inches apart all the way along the pipe. I also numbered them so I knew where each one went after I started applying the fiberglass. You can see these embedded in the fiberglass a few pictures down.

Before applying the fiberglass wrap the pipe in tin foil. Make sure you get is somewhat smooth and wrap it tight to keep it from moving or falling off.

100_0379.jpg

I cut the fiberglass into a bunch of different size pieces to accommodate for the different diameters of the pipe. I then mixed up the resin following the instructions on the can. Now all I had to do was apply the fiberglass.

I applied a few layers of fiber glass along the pipe and then inserted the metal that was cut and fitted earlier. I allowed everything to dry a little before applying more layers of fiber glass.

100_0380.jpg

After letting the fiberglass cure, about 1-2 hours in the sun, I removed it from the pipe. I had to use a dremel to cut away some sections to allow it to come off freely. I made sure I did not cut to much off and the guard pops on and off, but fits tight. I proceeded to clean up the edges and cut holes for the hose clamps, I used 2 clamps. Finally I sanded and painted it.

100_0381.jpg

Painted

100_0382.jpg

It turned out pretty well considering this was my first time working with fiberglass. The metal reinforcement makes a huge difference, the guard is very strong and fits tight. I didn't spend much time sanding it so the finish is a little rough but I plan to make a nicer one some other time. In all it only took me about 3 hours, not counting drying time.

Bolted up:

100_0383.jpg

• Like 3

you're sure it can handle the heat?

It seems a lot stronger than my carbon fiber stuff I have used in the past. I have been tempted to go beat on it with a hammer. It also gives a lot of coverage, It wraps all the way around the bottom of the pipe. I'm confident it can stand up to some hard hits.

you're sure it can handle the heat?

I thought you were referring to rocks ? Well I ran it around the yard yesterday with no problems or burning smells. It has the tin foil as backing as well since it sticks to it in the process. I couldn't find any information online about the temperatures it can withstand. If it doesn't work o well I not really out anything.

nice ford workbench

That's about the only thing a Ford is good for, right? ?

JOKING. I'm a Ford guy, wouldn't get anything other than a Ford. Atleast when I can drive. ?

OP = Very cool idea. Why didn't you do Carbon Fiber?

That's about the only thing a Ford is good for, right? ?

JOKING. I'm a Ford guy, wouldn't get anything other than a Ford. Atleast when I can drive. ?

OP = Very cool idea. Why didn't you do Carbon Fiber?

Carbon fiber is very very expensive in its raw form, and it seems to me he was going for cheap.

Just an after thought... How did you cut the fiber glass after it was hardened? did you cut it in 2 pieces? i can't seem to understand what you did. I'll read it again, and making it will be so easy, because i have dealt with carbon fiber before, same process just it starts as black, not white! haha

Edit: If you wax the aluminum foil, it will just peel off when you are done!

Carbon fiber is very very expensive in its raw form, and it seems to me he was going for cheap.

Just an after thought... How did you cut the fiber glass after it was hardened? did you cut it in 2 pieces? i can't seem to understand what you did. I'll read it again, and making it will be so easy, because i have dealt with carbon fiber before, same process just it starts as black, not white! haha

Edit: If you wax the aluminum foil, it will just peel off when you are done!

When I applied the fiberglass I only put it on the areas I wanted covered, it had a little over hang though, I didn't wrap the whole pipe. Toward the bottom smaller part of the pipe I pretty much wrapped the fiberglass around it though. This is the spot where I had to cut more but left enough so the guard pops on and off the pipe.

When I applied the fiberglass I only put it on the areas I wanted covered, it had a little over hang though, I didn't wrap the whole pipe. Toward the bottom smaller part of the pipe I pretty much wrapped the fiberglass around it though. This is the spot where I had to cut more but left enough so the guard pops on and off the pipe.

okay thanks for explaining that! me->?<-you haha sorry.

I still havent decided if my RM's pipe will be easier or harder to do this to.

you could put that silver heaet tape on the back maybe to stop any heat issues if you have any

think, ou exhaust runs past you plastics and there no problem, well theres some heat resistant tape on the fender where the exhaust goes past

No heat problems at all today with it, it actually held up fairly well. The problems resulted from the clamps. I made the area to thin around them so after a whole day of riding it cut into the fiberglass. The top clamp also needs to be moved back behind the bulge of the pipe, this will hold the guard on tighter. I will sand it down and apply a thicker layer and extend the guard so I can create a new upper mounting position. If I didn't have this guard on I am sure I would have busted my pipe today, the guard is beat up so it did its job. ?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

It seems a lot stronger than my carbon fiber stuff I have used in the past. I have been tempted to go beat on it with a hammer.

My experience with CF pipe guards is that our New England rocks punch through them like so much tissue paper. I ditched the guards myself and now consider pipes wear items, like tires. Nice job on the fiberglass guard though - hope it holds up for you. I did a little glassing doing a canoe repair once - I found it hard - the resin kicks so f'n fast...

This is pretty old now so do u still have this guard? Or use it? Anything you'd change?

Wow forgot about this thread, hopefully I can help you out.

I still had it on the bike up until I sold it. It was still working great and was almost mandatory using a FMF SST pipe in the woods, they are very thin gauge metal and more suited for moto. If I had to do it again I would make it thicker especially around the hose clamp mounts where they went through. It was cheap, relatively easy to make, and worked well.

• Like 1