Sign in to follow this  

Worth the costs to rebuild 2002 250f?

Got my sons bike tore apart, turns out big end on the rod is bad, ballpark is $1,000 to fix it, overall bike is nice, just wondering if its worth it? Any thoughts? Thats rebuilt crank and new rod, piston, rings, gaskets, etc... Thanks.

That's rebuilt crank, piston, rings, gaskets and you being bent over while someone runs off with your money.

OEM Crank $275

OEM Crank Bearings $53

OEM Piston kit $95

OEM Cam Chain $18

OEM Cylinder gasket $6

OEM Head gasket $16

OEM Right case gasket $9

OEM Oil pump/rotor $75

Total: $550 from www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

There may be a few more small dollar items that I missed, but unless your also getting the cylinder head rebuilt, your getting hosed for labor.

Yeah it was a quick quote i thought was high too, going to look more into it tomorrow. I have it tore down, head is good, valves are in spec, just needs crank done and has a little scoring on cylinder, looks like it will clean up with new piston and rings though.

Now would be a great time to upgrade to the '03+ crank. You will have to change to the '03+ flywheel, but it is a stronger design.

What kind of dirt bike can you buy for $600? Not much. Do it and take your time. 👍

gts: my personal philosophy is that, if you like the bike overall, it "deserves" one refresh/rebuild in its lifecycle. After that, maybe it dies a slow death or is parted out.

My own 2002 WR250F is being rebuilt right now including bottom & top end. I'm only doing it because, even though I have newer bikes, I love my '02 WR AND....... "all bikes deserve 1 refresh/rebuild" in its life!

I restore/ride vintage Hodakas & know these wouldn't be around 40 years later if they were just discarded way back when they needed work. Of course, modern bikes & 4st's are much more expensive to bring back to life; I understand that.

So, I say go for it & know you saved thousands $$$ over a new bike.

Bob in AZ

• Like 1

That's rebuilt crank, piston, rings, gaskets and you being bent over while someone runs off with your money.

OEM Crank $275

OEM Crank Bearings $53

OEM Piston kit $95

OEM Cam Chain $18

OEM Cylinder gasket $6

OEM Head gasket $16

OEM Right case gasket $9

OEM Oil pump/rotor $75

Total: $550 from www.cyclepartswarehouse.com

There may be a few more small dollar items that I missed, but unless your also getting the cylinder head rebuilt, your getting hosed for labor.

I dont neccisarily agree with you on that. I rebuild engines and I usually charge about $400.00 labor for a complete rebuild. Thats pulling the engine out of the bike complete tear down, inspection of all parts, reassembly, carb cleaning and engine break in. Think about it. At $50.00 an hour thats 8 hrs labor. I do a lot of engine rebuilds and 8 hrs is pretty reasonable from start to finish if you ask me. The advantage you and I have is we can do all of this ourselves so we dont have to pay someone else to do our own. I will say this. If your going to have the engine tore down definitly inspect the valves and make sure they are in good condition. It would be a waste of money to fix the bottom end only to drop a valve a couple hrs later. I just rebuilt an 04 I planned on keeping. New bottom end and top end plus recut seats and new valves and hardware. Out of pocket for parts and machining cost me about $1300.00 say I added $400 for labor thats still only $1700.00 for a bike that I know the engine will last me a long time. I ended up selling the bike to a guy who really wanted it for $2000.00. He got a sweet deal and I made $700.00 on the bike after parts and materials. I would spend the money and do it all right the first time. 👍

Not baggen on ya either intensem. Your a stand up guy with lots of knowledge and I think we share the dispising of dealerships that charge outragous prices for mediocre work.🤣

Wow, parts are available much cheaper in the US.

I don't think I'll ever sell another bike. I wish I had most of my old ones now.

I dont neccisarily agree with you on that. I rebuild engines and I usually charge about $400.00 labor for a complete rebuild. Thats pulling the engine out of the bike complete tear down, inspection of all parts, reassembly, carb cleaning and engine break in. Think about it. At $50.00 an hour thats 8 hrs labor. I do a lot of engine rebuilds and 8 hrs is pretty reasonable from start to finish if you ask me. The advantage you and I have is we can do all of this ourselves so we dont have to pay someone else to do our own. I will say this. If your going to have the engine tore down definitly inspect the valves and make sure they are in good condition. It would be a waste of money to fix the bottom end only to drop a valve a couple hrs later. I just rebuilt an 04 I planned on keeping. New bottom end and top end plus recut seats and new valves and hardware. Out of pocket for parts and machining cost me about $1300.00 say I added $400 for labor thats still only $1700.00 for a bike that I know the engine will last me a long time. I ended up selling the bike to a guy who really wanted it for $2000.00. He got a sweet deal and I made $700.00 on the bike after parts and materials. I would spend the money and do it all right the first time. 👍

Not baggen on ya either intensem. Your a stand up guy with lots of knowledge and I think we share the dispising of dealerships that charge outragous prices for mediocre work.🤣

When you look at it that way it does make sense. Maybe there's a good business in selling how to video's ? haha $100 video and you know how to do it, or $400-$500 in labor and all you know is that your pocket is lighter, hummm 🙂

400 is cheap ! my labour is 650 aud ! and i think thats good (prob 550 US) so not a lot to do a job like this IF its done by the proper mechanic who has a clue ! ..all depepnds on mechanical aptitude of the owner...

Now would be a great time to upgrade to the '03+ crank. You will have to change to the '03+ flywheel, but it is a stronger design.

Ok...I've been trying to finds an answer and can't...any help would be appreciated.

I need to do the crank on my son's '02 WR, and would like to do the 03 crank upgrade, but...the 03 WRs got an electric start, so the flywheels and stators are very different. Does anyone know if the 02 flywheel will fit on te 03 crankshaft? If not, can the taper onthe 03 crank be machined to match the 02 flywheel?

If not, I guess an option would be to go with an 03 YZ flywheel and a Moose, e-Line, or Electrex stator that puts out 50W vs the 120W that the WRs put out stock, or to just go with an 02 crank. The flywheel and stator need to be replaced (the flywheel failed, roached the stator, and the resulting bits and pieces were not kind to the rest of the bearings), so cost-wise, either is a push to buy new...but I can probably find used WR parts on e-bay...