Sign in to follow this  

TT-R50 common problems

I'm looking to buy a used 2007 ttr50 for my sons 3rd bday. I want to know if there is anything I should look out for, or check out first before I buy this bike. I do know it was a 5 year olds race bike (desert short course). Any help is greatly appreciated. Jason

Watch the spokes - keep them tight - they will work loose if he rides aggressively.

The front forks are kinda flimsy, so take care of them. Aftermarket inner tubes are supposed to be stronger and longer.

If he falls over on the throttle tube, it will stick. Just slide it back out a little and it's ok.

I had one set of brake shoes crack long before they wore out.

The engine on ours has been bulletproof. 👍

The front forks are kinda flimsy, so take care of them. Aftermarket inner tubes are supposed to be stronger and longer.

not trying to thread jack or anything but i have questions like yamadoggy does. i just bought a 06 ttr50 yesterday, now that i am taking all the bodywork off to clean the motor, oil change, etc, etc. i noticed the lower front forks(silver part) are both slightly bent. i couldn't tell when i was looking at the ttr before i bought it because of the lower fork guards are covering them & the forks didn't "stick" when i pushed & pulled on them. but now i noticed how bad they really are after taking the front tire off & spinning the lower forks around 👍. gsa do you know where i can get the "aftermarket inner tubes" you told yamadoggy about or good used oem replacements?

everything gsa102 said:banana:

after reading my post i kinda went on like you bought it....sorry:bonk:

great bike though..just a little heavier then the crf 50...

I bought an 06 ttr 50 for my son when he was 3 1/2. everything ran great...if your looking at training wheels go with the moose raceing....very strong. electric start is cool for the little man. they can jump on it and start it and ride away.

I live in nv also(near reno)...i went a size up on the pilot jet(#15)... stock is 12.5.... very cold blooded on the warm up, had to run for a while with choke on. after the jet change, helped out a bunch.

Training wheel note...👍 (my frist dirtbike with a little one...so i was excited to see him ride)

I think i left my sons training wheels on too long.......when it was time to take them off..... he rode the bike well.. but when it was time to stop, he was to short to catch him self before he fell over.. so he became discourged and didnt want to ride...

I guess what im saying is have Patience...

I got a set of New Red Baron Racing inner tubes with cables off of EBAY some time ago for $75 it think. One of the holes was drilled wrong and I just drilled a new one - no biggie. Also Two Brothers Racing has them. Just search the net for TTR50 forks and shop around. I found a lot of price difference for the same thing.

I am looking for the outer tubes myself, or the whole forks. The boy really demolished his by trying to drive through our wellhead.