Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha 660 raptor hard to start... High compression

Ok so I have an 01' Raptor 660 that I have had since new. I was getting a bit tired of getting beat in the sand drags and decided to freshen it up.

trinity 686 kit

stage 2 cam

12 to 1 compressioin JE piston

Titanium valve springs

port and polish on the head

full Curtis Sparks exhaust

pro flo filter

Maybe a few more I have forgotten

Anyways... After the rebuild it has been very hard to start. It wants to turn over but then just wont do it, builds up on the compression stroke and then barely turns over... No start. I have a new battery replaced the starter took it apart to make sure the decomp was on right. and this thing just wont fire. I use VP fuel 110 I think.

Any ideas or anyone else with these issues? 👍

AAHHH the 660 raptor blues. I have owned three of them and still am building my last 686. OK first off pull the head cover off and make sure your timing is dead on, then check your auto-decompression in the cam and make sure it is working and not binding up. Believe it or not I had one of mine a tooth advanced and it took forever to start up, but it did run fine just didn't have too much top end pull.

Invest in a Grizzly battery, they work great and make sure you have 12 volts when trying to start it up. PM me and I can give you tips on improving your stock carbs peformance.

AAHHH the 660 raptor blues. I have owned three of them and still am building my last 686. OK first off pull the head cover off and make sure your timing is dead on, then check your auto-decompression in the cam and make sure it is working and not binding up. Believe it or not I had one of mine a tooth advanced and it took forever to start up, but it did run fine just didn't have too much top end pull.

Invest in a Grizzly battery, they work great and make sure you have 12 volts when trying to start it up. PM me and I can give you tips on improving your stock carbs peformance.

Thanks, The thing runs like a bat outa hell once it starts... Just tough to get it to turn over. I will look into the docomp pin and get the bigger battery. PM You later for the carb tips once this bad boy fires up as it should...