Sign in to follow this  

Connecticut Status of Thomastom Dam

:ride:I breathed a sigh of relief this evening after swinging by the dam on the way home from work. LAST Friday there was major flooding - if you're familiar with it, the first open riding area off to the right as you cross the dam, there's a huge rock there that you can climb. There was so much water there the rock looked like an island - and I was certain the place wouldn't be open by May 1st. BUT today - the place was drained and there were just a few puddles remaining.....so fellas get your gear ready! I'm planning on riding there opening day with a group of guys. Plan on being there around 8:15. Can't wait!!

Cool. I've seen that place pretty flooded before!!

And I'll be there May 1st.. Then I won't be there again till May 1st 2011!! hahaa.. I like to just go opening weekend and hang with friends, then forget the place even exists after that. Maybe I'll see ya there.

:ride:I breathed a sigh of relief this evening after swinging by the dam on the way home from work. LAST Friday there was major flooding - if you're familiar with it, the first open riding area off to the right as you cross the dam, there's a huge rock there that you can climb. There was so much water there the rock looked like an island - and I was certain the place wouldn't be open by May 1st. BUT today - the place was drained and there were just a few puddles remaining.....so fellas get your gear ready! I'm planning on riding there opening day with a group of guys. Plan on being there around 8:15. Can't wait!!

dam.jpg

Dave

I have never been to Thomaston Dam. Is this appropriate for my 8 year old daughter who is just starting out on a PW50?

There are areas that are perfect for that, a weekday is best.

Dave

Nice pics - thats the rock alright. On May 1st just look for the yellow Yamaha ridden by a guy with a helmet cam - thats me.

For the young ones/beginners, the main trail goes for a couple of miles and is good for getting comfortable. It starts as pavement then goes to gravel/dirt. There's just a handful of open areas ride around, some single track and definitely some technical areas. I'd definitely say for beginners to stick to the main trail going out and then heading back to the lot, the trails on your left, close to the river.

I'm not sure if they'll give her a free pass as long as your bike is registered. May be worth calling the DMV - i find it hard to believe young riders on the small bikes will need to be registered....BUT the state needs its money!