Hot start question

i have an 06 450x. its seems very hard to start when the bike is hot with the electric start. with the kick starter, forget about it. it almost feels like the battery is low but it is new and fully charged. it starts no problem when cold. my question is... when the bike is hot, i know i should pull in the hot start lever when i kick it.. but do i pull it in as well when i am using the electric start? and also if so, do i hold the lever in the whole time while starting it? both ways, kick and electric.

one opinion you could consider is jetting. since it would even start when you kick it when its hot, I think you might have a jetting issue. My hot start cable is currently broke, it still starts fine with electric start or kick start. But just another opinion to consider. hope this helps.

IMHO

If you have stock jetting, this is normal.

Hot start is used however you choose to start it, only for a second or two, so the engine can get some cool air for a intake cycle or two.

Unless you have dropped the bike at the top of a long hill climb, hot start should not be needed, unless you are not jetted correctly.

I agree about jetting. I honestly dont think I have ever NEEDED to use the hot start on my bike.. I know what your talking about when it cranks slow. It seems mine only does that when Im racing hare scrambles. At times ( tight sections) if I kill it and hit the magic button it will sound like the battery is dead until it gets it passed the first compression stroke, then it will crank away. And on a side note, it really never gets old, the look on a spectators face out in the woods when you lay it over or kill it and they are yelling "oh no" or "you need me to start that". Its great to look at them hit the button and away you go! 👍

I've only used the hot start lever a few times and that's when I've dropped the bike and loaded it up, starts right up. I'd say jetting is the cause of your hard starting. Have you tried twising the throttle before hitting the button? If that helps then you're definitely lean.