Best off road engine set up?

Hey gang,

I was wondering what the best engine set up would be for riding strictly off road. I was planning on racing some AMA district 11 races which consist of Hare scrambles, GP's, and some of the tracks are part MX with some fairly large jumps.

I have my suspension taking care of, but I'm curious. What would be the best mods to go with for the engine?

Yeah, with an E model start with an SSW Edition MRD exhaust. If you're race organization does sound checks you may want to skip the pipe and go straight to a +4mm big bore kit (94mm piston for 434cc). Without running a race exhaust (loud!) that about the most you can do. Stroker engines can make more power, especially with some head work, but sound restricted exhausts can't support the available power.

K, and yes my bike is a 03 E model. So far I have a MRD/SSW, I was planning on going with the standard bore wiesco piston for added reliability and a set of hot cams with a aftermarket CDI. But if a big bore would be better, I'd preffer to just get that. Whar BB kit is best? I saw a wiesco kit, but it was $800!!!

FCR39, hotcams, and maybe a 436 kit. If you stay with the 400 you may want to do the E base gasket but its not worth the work if you don't have to already go in there.

Anyone care to elaborate pros and cons on BB kit for strictly offroad use ?

i have the 2003 kick start only model and the lesser weight makes a good difference compared to an e. but i digress what i did to make mine an awesome trails bike was a dunlopd803 trials tire, rejeted the fcr carb, header wrap, and drilled the stock tip out. i would definitely do a pipe if your racing, even if its just for the lesser weight. good oil helped me alittle too. i run the top synthetics in my bike and it loooves it:thumbsup:

K, and yes my bike is a 03 E model. So far I have a MRD/SSW, I was planning on going with the standard bore wiesco piston for added reliability and a set of hot cams with a aftermarket CDI. But if a big bore would be better, I'd preffer to just get that. Whar BB kit is best? I saw a wiesco kit, but it was $800!!!

Skip the CDI and save your money, all of the aftermarket ones do nothing helpful (according to Eddie) except the correct Yoshimura one and even then I think that one was mostly suited for big bore SM racing with minimal improvements.

The Hot Cams are only marginally better than the factory E cams. If I were in your shoes I'd go straight to a big bore (no bigger than 94mm piston, though).

drilled the stock tip out.

Could I get a little more info on this? Did you just use a hole saw? If so, what size? Also, will this raise the sound output above 96db?

good oil helped me alittle too. i run the top synthetics in my bike and it loooves it:thumbsup:

Indeed! I switched to Motul 300v and the bike's transmission loves it! I put 25 off-road hours on the oil and shifting was still silky smooth. With dino oil I noticed a definite drop-off in shifting smoothness after just a few hours. 👍

Hey gang,

I was wondering what the best engine set up would be for riding strictly off road. I was planning on racing some AMA district 11 races which consist of Hare scrambles, GP's, and some of the tracks are part MX with some fairly large jumps.

🤣

seriously...forget the DRZ400 and get a KTM 300 instead...lot of less weight , headaches and more uuumpf 👍

🤣

seriously...forget the DRZ400 and get a KTM 300 instead...lot of less weight , headaches and more uuumpf 👍

a fast riders fast on any bike:thumbsup: I'm not saying I'm fast, but my local bike dealer raced a 2000 400E until 2006 when he upgraded to a newer bike, and he won alot races on it:worthy:

I've rode plenty of lighter and faster bikes. ex: RM-Z450, YZ426F, YZ450F, YZ250F, RM250 and I still like the way the DR-Z feels. I love the stable planted feel it has, while still retaining quick handling, and offers E start!

So, If i go with a big bore kit what one should I get? I was thinking Athena, it's a little cheaper than Wiesco and I dont really trust the other brands, because there not that well known so I dont really trust putting them in my engine that I have to rely on and rebuild if anything fails.

a fast riders fast on any bike:thumbsup: I'm not saying I'm fast, but my local bike dealer raced a 2000 400E until 2006 when he upgraded to a newer bike, and he won alot races on it

..don´t convince me much..that is 4 years ago...nowdays you won´t have a chance even against mediocre riders with the drz...and BTW the katoom has e-start too...but its your cash ,you want to drop in that thing !👍

..don´t convince me much..that is 4 years ago...nowdays you won´t have a chance even against mediocre riders with the drz...and BTW the katoom has e-start too...but its your cash ,you want to drop in that thing !👍

yeah, i was aware the KTM's had E-start and I would love to have one, but there a little out of my price range. And like I said a fast riders fast on any bike. My friend races open A class on his YZ250F and I can keep up with him just fine, it not always in the bike:thumbsup: