Sign in to follow this  

protecting bare aluminum from stains?

Is there a spray like wd-40 or fogging oil that will protect bare aluminum from stains? I'm looking for something that drys. Powder coating and anodize are out of the question cause of price. Maybe somthing that will soak into the aluminum and give it some form of protection. Kinda like some of the deck/ wood treatments. It soaks in and drys and you never know its there. Like a urathane or something?

What did you find that stained aluminum?

I've never had any problem with the aluminum on my bike. I did polish the frame on my wife's cr125, looked pretty good but it scuffs up pretty quickly. Too much work just for looks.

That being said I found this on a boating website.

A number of products do a good job of cleaning and protecting aluminum. Nevr-Dull (www.nevrdull.com) is a specially treated wad of cotton cloth that comes in a can. Tear off a piece and rub it thoroughly on the area that needs cleaning. Wait a couple of minutes, then wipe off the foggy finish with a clean towel. Nevr-Dull requires considerable elbow grease and doesn’t offer much protection against the elements, but it’s relatively easy to use and removes tarnish, water spots, and dirt quickly. Nevr-Dull is available at hardware and marine-supply stores and sells for under $10.

Rupp Marine (www.ruppmarine.com) makes Aluma Guard, a spray that it says prevents pitting and corrosion and restores aluminum’s natural shine. Boaters I’ve spoken with say it works well and leaves aluminum looking polished and new, but I’ve also heard reports that it runs and leaves streak marks if it gets wet before it’s dry. A 16-ounce bottle sells for around $12.

Finally, there’s the two-step system developed by Woody Wax called Triple XXX (www.woody-wax.com). The first application is designed to remove corrosion and dullness from aluminum with little rubbing and buffing. The second application is a hard wax made to enhance the shine and create a barrier against salt, pollution, and water spots. A 16-ounce tub of Woody Wax retails for about $26.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Well I'm restoring my 89 yz250. I bead blasted my hubs and swing arm to clean them up. I just want them to stay clean and not get dirt stained (red clay). I really don't want to spend the $$ to anodize or powder coat. I've already got ALOT of money tied up in it. So I was thinking of some type of spray I could spray on them to maybe repel the dirt. I wounder if there is some type of car detailing spray that I could spray on that will dry clear? I would do it after every wash. I just know there has to be something. I mean there are sprays that dry on steel that protect it and you can't even tell it was sprayed.

After blasting, duplicolor engine enamel clearcoat holds up REALLY well, and will give a lasting finish.

How long after bead blasting? They have been sitting for a few weeks unassembled. There is no visible oxidation yet. Maybe wash them off with some dawn dish detergent, let dry in sun, then next day spray them?

Sharkhide - For protecting aluminum boat hulls. Was recommended on a snowmobile site for protecing polished tunnels.

I picked some up- but haven't put it to use yet so I can't vouch for how it holds up - and it's expensive! Got it at a local boat shop.

www.sharkhide.com/mpinfo.html

The sharkhid looks like its for polished aluminum. I bead blasted so its got a slight rough texture. I think I'm gonna try the duplicolor engine enamel clear coat. I just need to know if I should wash everything off first seeing how I bead blasted them a few weeks ago. That and how many coats should I do.

id just use some of those frame guards you can buy, or after each ride what i do is get out the simple green and a scotchbrite pad 1min of scrubbing brings my aluminum back to brand new

The sharkhid looks like its for polished aluminum. I bead blasted so its got a slight rough texture. I think I'm gonna try the duplicolor engine enamel clear coat. I just need to know if I should wash everything off first seeing how I bead blasted them a few weeks ago. That and how many coats should I do.

Just wash them with Dawn and rinse well, then blow dry with compressed air. Just 2 coats, too many will make it have a bit of a "yellow tinge" 2 coats will appear perfectly clear. If you want, you can bake them (as per the can) for faster drying and durability.

I'm also looking at using some eastwood extreme diamond clear coat. I'm doing some research right now on what clear coat would be more durable. Anyone ever used the eastwood extreme diamond clear coat?

id just use some of those frame guards you can buy, or after each ride what i do is get out the simple green and a scotchbrite pad 1min of scrubbing brings my aluminum back to brand new

Well that's great for the frame, but he's talking about a swingarm and a set of hubs. 👍

I 2nd (or 3rd or whatever), duplicolor clear. I'd use wheel coating though, not engine enamel like Nick said. Unless you're gonna bake those parts in the oven that is.

Nick, I'm curious to see how well your engine enamel actually does "hold up" once you start riding it. It's one thing for it to be sitting in the garage, yeah? lol.

J.

I've used that engine enamel in the past on lots of stuff, and it's always held up great for me. One of it's best properties is how it's resistant to solvents and cleaners once dry, not alot of other paints are. I'm sure my flywheel and clutch covers will show wear wth time, but those are easily resprayed.

Yeah I was thinking about the difference between engine enamel and wheel paint. Nick what parts have you used the engine enamel clear coat on? Any thing that get constantly pelted with dirt/rocks like my swing arm will.

Well after lots and lots of searching it looks like I'm gonna get a 2k clear coat in a rattle can with a hardning catalist. Its made by spray max. Its a two part spray paint in one can. Basically the same thing that they use in paint shops. You take the lid off and pop it on the bottom. Doing that activates a inner container that releases the hardner to mix with the clear coat. It should be harder and more durable then one part clear coats. Its $20 per can. Here is the link to it.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm