04 motor locked?

ok i traded my f3 a few days ago for this bike...the guy said he didn't know much about it except that it had some wiseco engine parts put in the motor..just piston and stuff like that... well the bike runs like a champ, carbs need a cleaning but still runs fine...the only other thing is the cam chain is a little noisy just have not adjusted it yet.....

so here is my problem...

went and pulled the bike out and put fresh gas in it from being nearly empty...it started first kick like alway, i usually have to keep giving it gas till it warms up a little so it dont die.. well it ran fine for about five seconds then made a click noise then died.. didnt bogg then die, sounded like something forcefully stopped the motor from turning...so when i went to kick it again it caught tdc then would not kick down... i immediately thought the motor locked up...i tried to put it in gear and push the bike to see if it would turn the motor, well it did in 3rd...then the kick start would move again, so i kicked it and it fired up and did the exact same thing.........

i know it could be a number of things but i didnt know if there was something i could do before i take the motor apart.... anyone had this happen?

thanks a bunch for any help

it ran fine for about five seconds then made a click noise then died..

There could be a number of things?

The "click" sound make me think its a valve making contact with the piston. The only way to know is to pull the head.

If it dropped a valve you could pull the spark plug and see if it is damaged at all. It does sound like it dropped valve to me. If the spark plug doesnt tell you anything you will have to pull the head off. You could try to check the timing marks too but if its locked up you dont want to keep forcing it around and cause possibly more internal damage.

i got the motor apart.... the top end is fine...... so after alot of reasearch i found that it could be the kick starter locked, and i may think thats the issue......so when i got the head and jug off i noticed the there were grooves and nicks on the crank where it meets the rod.. as i further brake it down more i notice small metal chunks not shavings that look like glitter, it has chunks everywhere, in the oil lines, all over the gears ect... i think one of the kick gears broke or it is one of the gears in the tranny...... i have the side covers off and everything that is visible seems to be ok... im at a stopping point now cuz i need a special tool to get off the clutch basket and magneto........

so thats pretty much where im at... where would you go from here? do i need to get those parts off and split the case? i can take pictures if anyone needs me to..... thanks

i got the motor apart.... the top end is fine...... so after alot of reasearch i found that it could be the kick starter locked, and i may think thats the issue......so when i got the head and jug off i noticed the there were grooves and nicks on the crank where it meets the rod.. as i further brake it down more i notice small metal chunks not shavings that look like glitter, it has chunks everywhere, in the oil lines, all over the gears ect... i think one of the kick gears broke or it is one of the gears in the tranny...... i have the side covers off and everything that is visible seems to be ok... im at a stopping point now cuz i need a special tool to get off the clutch basket and magneto........

so thats pretty much where im at... where would you go from here? do i need to get those parts off and split the case? i can take pictures if anyone needs me to..... thanks

Did you pull the engine out of the frame yet? I would do that next if you havent already. The only special tools you should need it a #30 torx bit for the magneto and a flywheel puller. An air gun/air compresser would make disassembly a lot faster and easier if you have one. Definitly post pics if you need help or have any questions.

yea i got the motor out of the bike.. i was surprised how fast the bike came apart... it went from fully assembled to everything off and in pieces in less that 2 hours.... i still need to get a air compressor though ..........

what do i do about the rod rubbing on the crank..it rubs when its at tdc... and there is blueish coloring like a heat spot..shouldn't the rod rotate freely on the crank too...

i have never split a case before but i have studied service manuals over and over so i dont think i will be lost, but is there anything i need to prepare for like more special tools or anything....thanks

yea i got the motor out of the bike.. i was surprised how fast the bike came apart... it went from fully assembled to everything off and in pieces in less that 2 hours.... i still need to get a air compressor though ..........

what do i do about the rod rubbing on the crank..it rubs when its at tdc... and there is blueish coloring like a heat spot..shouldn't the rod rotate freely on the crank too...

i have never split a case before but i have studied service manuals over and over so i dont think i will be lost, but is there anything i need to prepare for like more special tools or anything....thanks

Aside from the special tools I mentioned once you have the transmisson side of the engine stripped down and the bolts removed holding the case together I am just able to pull the case apart with my hands. If not then use a plastic hammer and tap on the edges till it comes apart. Sounds to me like the big end of the connecting rod went bad. You probably need a new crank.

Aside from the special tools I mentioned once you have the transmisson side of the engine stripped down and the bolts removed holding the case together I am just able to pull the case apart with my hands. If not then use a plastic hammer and tap on the edges till it comes apart. Sounds to me like the big end of the connecting rod went bad. You probably need a new crank.

i had a friend come look at it today and he said the same thing...he said i should be able to get away with just a new crank and gaskets since i caught the problem before it became a major problem.... the top end seems great, although i should hone the cylinder while its apart... i'm gonna take the motor to my friend at the dealer and have them pop off the magneto and clutch, then i'll finish the job........

this hole ordeal has me soo bummed out.. i traded my sportbike for it then spent maybe 1hr riding it till i had to brake it down.. its alright though cuz i know the motor and bike is gonna be clean and in tiptop shape when im done:thumbsup: thanks for the help.. ill keep ya posted on it

i found a deal for a new wiseco complete bottom end.. crank, rod, bearings, seals, and gasket for $177...i'm also gonna put a wiseco top end on it... but they said its out of stock till may 15th... that sucks... i want to hurry up and get it done and ride.... bbrrrrraaaaappp