Kick Starter Question

Okay, I tried searching this out and I will admit I'm totally new to these bikes; been around cars all my life and two stroke quads for quite a while, but not the big 4-stroke bikes. Anyway, bought this 2006 CRF450R from a guy with the lower rod bearing locked up. In the process of the rebuild the kick starter fell out, was going to try and leave assembled. I looked through the manual and the PDF schematics and felt like I reassembled it correctly; the bike kicks over good and I've heat cycled everything after the rebuild. However, the kick starter will rotate slightly backwards when riding around and you can hear the gears of the starter and the idler gear rattling.

Any quick tips on what exactly I missed. I am going to pull the side cover off and I'm confident I'm mechanically inclined enough to figure it out while looking at it all, just figured someone would have a quick tip on what step in the process I missed. The one thing I could not determine, was the (crappy) Haynes manual that the guy threw in with the bike, showed the kick starter spring going back into a specific hole in the case. As best I could tell on my 2006, the end of the spring is just retained by a cast rib on the inner case? The end of the primary ratcheting spring is on the forward side of the rib at about 1 o'clock. Maybe there is an actual hole for the end of that spring that I somehow overlooked at around 3 o'clock? That would seem to provide the necessary extra "preload" on the kicker holding it in from trying to engage the idler?

Thanks!

did you make sure the two marks are lined up, one mark is on the backside of the kick start ratchet gear and other is on the end of the kick starter shaft or spindle? If these marks are not lined up it wont work like it should.