Sign in to follow this  

Oil level reading below dipstick after replacing clutch side crankcase cover

I replaced my clutch side crankcase cover because I had broken off the oil level inspection screw by running over a rock. I installed a new oil filter and pored 2 quarts of oil into the frame. When I run the bike, the oil in the frame soon reads below the dipstick (does not register). I did an oil pleasure check at the main oil gallery plug and the gauge indicates oil pressure between 5 and 30 psi depending on the engine RPMs. I ran the bike for more than 5 minutes with no dropouts in oil pressure. When I run the bike the oil dipstick gets wet from oil in the frame so I think at least some oil is making it back to the frame reservoir. I have drained the engine and place the oil back into the frame before the oil pressure test and again the oil level quickly goes below a measurable level.

The replacement crankcase cover was used but in good shape. I did not replace the oil seals in the used crankcase cover because they looked OK. The bike has no oil leaks.

Any Ideas? Just add more oil?

Run the bike 5 mins, until warm. Then let it sit for a few and check it again. Should be fine with 2 qts. How does the oil look?

Double check your method for checking the oil. Like kman says check it after about 1 minute of being shut off after running it I don't let it rest on the kick stand. Stand it up straight. If you put 2 quarts in & you don't have any leaks it has to be full.

Thanks for the advice. I tried what you suggested and still the oil reads below the stick.

Is there any chance I can be reading oil pressure at the oil pressure checking place, just below the oil filter, and still the oil no t making it to the frame?

Are there any oil screens that may be clogged and where are they?

Thanks.

With good oil pressure, it just did not make sense that the frame was not getting oil. With a flashlight, I peered inside the frame and was able to see oil. I started the bike and looked into the frame and saw the oil moving and oil being “spit” into the frame. I decided to add an additional half quart of oil. Now I can run the bike and read oil on the stick afterwards. I will ride it for a while and keep very close tabs on the oil level.

I am still a little confused. I put 2 full quarts in the frame after replacing the side cover. From everything I read, that should have been enough even with the engine completely dry. Maybe a tardis became active in the engine.

Thanks for all of your help. I guess I will have to check the oil screen next.

You just over filled your motor. Many people, including me have had problems getting a accurate oil level reading. If you put two qts in it was full. If you want to get real anal two qts is a touch too much oil, 200ml over. But most people here just dump in two and forget about it. The book tells you to run the motor a couple minutes then wait a couple before you check the oil level. You will get more accurate reading if you ride the bike down the road and get it warmed up then check it after it sits 5 minutes.

Are you screwing the dip stick all the way in or just sitting it on the top of the hole?

It could be that the scavenge side of the pump is weak and actually not pumping a sufficient ammount back to the frame...

I'd check how much was in the crank. That would tell the tale.

Thanks for all of the help.

I will ride the bike, keep my eye on the oil level and change the oil prematurely and see how much is in the crank and frame independently.

I am not screwing in the stick when I check the oil, but I never have in the past. I can see that this could cause an error in my level reading, but not to the point where the oil does not register on the stick.

If I have indeed put too much oil in the system and the sump is working properly, then I would only expect there to be too much oil in the frame since it is a dry sump system. I could be missing something.

I know that the sump is working because I am getting oil back in the frame. I can imagine that the sump is not working completely correctly to the point that it will allow the oil level in the engine to be higher than it should be. Your suggestion of draining and replacing the oil should give me a better handle on this as you stated.

Is the oil sump pump the pump on the clutch side of the motor?