Sign in to follow this  

how do i break in my new top end?

hi i have a 2008 kx 250f and just put in a new pro circuit high comp piston and i was wonderin how i should break it in. any advice would be help ful. thanks

There are many different methods. OEM's recommend two to three 15 min. heat cycles, not giving it hell, but getting in the mid range. Then change the oil and have at it. Then there are some that say give it all its got once it starts. So, which ever way you prefer. I go through three heat cycles method. Good luck!

I read were MXA breaks in new test bikes by just riding the bike for about 15 min...nothing hard......then change the oil...then crank it out......I did this when I put my new top end on.......seems to have worked great......

i have had 2 brand new bikes, when i did my 07 i rode it easy for a good bit until i finally got on it, and looking back on wat i did now, i dont think they seated the way they should have. when i got my 09 kx250f, i started it up, let it warm up nice and good, shut it off. then i took it around the yard and went through all the gears, and in every gear i went from quater throttle to almost rev limit. i gotta say it worked and theres a artical on here about seating the rings the way i did and it sure worked for me. i know many may disagree but u never know until u try it yourself, like i did and this will be my meathod from now on.

I never baby any new parts.

I just wait until the engine is warmed up, then i ride it like I always do.

If any engine parts can´t take being put under a full load after 5 minutes, why should they take it after 3 hours?

Just warm it up good before riding.

What kills an engine is lack of oil, lack of coolant, or a mechanic making a mistake.

Let it warm up is the key. I was always told to break it in like you plan to ride it. If you ride hard, break it in hard.