front sprocket question

so i want to put a 12T front sprocket on my bike and it has the factory sizes of 13T front and 48T rear and the sprockets and chain are in almost brand new condition yet so i dont want to have to buy a new chain so i want to know if it will work alright to do this, i just want my bike to be geared lower because all the tracks i ride are really tight

Depending how much room you have left in your axle blocks. If the axle is right at the back end of its adjustment than you may need to take a link out of the chain or else it would probably work.

You should be fine. The "replace as a set" rule is true if one item is worn out. I've seen people have a sprocket that was so shot the chain slipped, so they replaced the sprocket only and kept riding until the worn-out chain broke and destroyed the case.

A 12 tooth sprocket is kinda small for the front. I would probably go with a 51 tooth on the rear if you can clear the chain guide. I know this is a bit more cash, but easier on the chain in the long run. Just my opinion.....👍

i guess i never thought of that, i would rather put a new rear sprocket on to try it and i would go with a 50T but i figured a new front sprocket would be a cheaper alternative because if i dont like it i can just put my 13T back on, there are parts on the tracks i ride that i like the gearing my bike has but there are also those sections where i wish it was a little lower so i figured i could do this and try it to see what i like best

12T will wear quicker than the 13T due to more rotations for a given distance traveled (about 8%). It will also increase your wheelbase (slightly) and effect the handling. Better to go with an increase on the rear.

I think the smaller dia. sprocket will also wear the chain guides a bit quicker due to more pressure and contact between them and the chain.

For a quick trial it's cheaper than the rear to see if you like it. With your sprocket set stock 13/48, changing to 12/48 is the same as 13/52 or 4 up on the rear.