Sign in to follow this  

KLX 125 Loud Valve Ticking

Ok so inherited my brothers '06 klx 125. it hasnt been started for about 4-months. He has a K&N Filter, Jet Mods and a Two Brother M6 full exhaust. After kicking it about 20 times it fired up and when warm idles fine. Runs real strong. Crackles a little bit on decelleration, I can handle that, but on idle seems like there is a pretty loud valve tick. Oil is good. He says its been there since he changed the pipe. Which doesn't make alot of sense but ....

Any one here with any experience with this symptom? Appreciate it in advance

I have the same exact issue but it runs fine. I picked up the service manual and I'm planning on checking the clearances soon. I've also been checking DRZ 125 forums and have seen a lot of this.

Some say it's fine, but I want to try to fix it.

Thanks Justin. Apperantly the bike runs just fine, no smoke and has never had a problem. Less that 30 hors of running time on the motor. Let me know what you come up with on your valve adjustment.

Alao what other types of mods have you done to your KLX 125 ?

I haven't done anything other than hand polishing some internals and tuning the carb. It's my wife's starter bike and I don't want to give her more than she can handle yet. If she gets used to giving it hell I plan on putting a better carb on and a good exhaust. I will definitely modify the stock exhaust before I get a performance one though.

My brother in law installed a Two Brothers M-6. I wouldn't recommend that pipe. The fitment is just not good. I have Pro-Circuit and FMF pipes on my other bikes and the fit real good. He did do the K&N filter and cut open the airbox and jetted, which seems to be cool. Bike runs reals strong compared to my '06 TTR 125,. As long as it is not idleing with that loud a$$ valve tick the bike is pretty cool outside of the under weight spring and bulbous front fender.

I wanted to let you know that I adjusted the valves and the noise is still there. It does however have more torque now and feel snappier. I can't tell if it's any quieter at all. I seen somewhere before that it might need some type of grease somewhere to make the noise go away. I'll have to try to find that and see if I can do that.

Anyone else have any ideas?

the anwser is back pressure in your exhaust system? there is much less back pressure in your performance pipe. the more and easier your engine breath s the faster it will run? for example put ur hand over your mouth and blow air between ur fingers with no gap between your finger s with sum effert you can force air between your fingers and like a performance pipe spread your fingers open and blow air its efferotless and no resistaince and u can here all the noise ur mouth make s and yes back pressure will quit ur valves down and some caes may need to be adjusted , its like running with ur hand covering ur mouth or run with nothing covering ur mouth ? u understand the basic idea?

I have the same bike with the same problem. Any ideas on what the noise might be? I thought valve adjustment.

I have been looking for a manual for the bike, but have not found one yet. Can you give me basic instructions for adjusting the cam tensioner?

I had a problem like that, the valve was hitting the piston. you should stop using your bike before you start breaking stuff

These bikes are notorious for the cam tensioner being loose. It makes a lot of noise, and even when the cam chain is tight it still has some valve noise.

If your valve IS hitting your piston, you're going to need to replace stuff anyways, so might as well ride it until you're going to rebuild it all anyways. But I have clearance between mine and it did make some noise.

I have the suzuki DR200SE with a little over 1000 miles which is mostly the same engine, they used a stainless pipe on it and have a better tweaked head. No noise on it. Also have a honda 125 thumper and honda cr250r.

I have had an 04 KLX 125L for over a year and it makes a lot of knocking noise too. The bike is in exceptional condition and was obviously ridden little when I bought. I cleaned the carb, removed the filter screen, opened the airbox, jetted with larger pilot and mainjet. Otherwise the motor and exhaust are stock. I've also adjusted the valves and camchain tensioner twice (pulled tensioner and made sure it was not stuck) in order to get rid of the annoying and worrisome noise. Nothing has worked. I also went to a dealer and asked to listen to a DRZ while running to see if it made a similar noise. It seemed to be similar, though it was hard to tell without mine there for comparison. I've had XRs and a TTR 125. I recall that an XR 200 also had quite a bit of clatter but the other bikes seemed quieter.

A bit of noise is ok but the amount my KLX makes seems excessive and it bugs me. Otherwise the bike runs well, has been reliable, and is very enjoyable to ride. I'm thinking that maybe these bikes just sound this way. Hope to compare another KLX/DRZ directly to mine and then I'll just assume the noise is normal if the bike sounds the same.

I'd like to hear from others with KLXs and DRZs. Do your bikes knock too?

Just save yourself sanity, and go to the shop again and ask them for a drz. Take your bike with you and ride bith around a little bit in the parking lot to warm em up, then stop let em cool then check em side by side.

Yeah, I realize that doing a direct comparison will be the only way I'll know for sure and be able to feel ok about the noise or get it fixed!

I'd say if adjusting it made no difference and it was overly loud that it could have a worn cam chain. But it is noticeably loud stock. Wished it would cool down some here so I could go out and ride more.

Did you figure it out yet? I have two of these bikes and they make noise to. Overhead cams and rockers always make noise. I this bugs you you should def. stay away from ktm four strokes they sound like farm combines!

No, I haven't figured out the noise concern yet. I've had a very busy work schedule for several months and getting to the dealer to compare a new model to mine hasn't been a top priority, though I still think about the issue and want to sort it out.

Actually, I just took a week-long trip to the desert and brought my bike-as much for a way out in case my truck had a breakdown as for a major part of the trip. I did ride several times and paid attention to the noise. The sound is definitly worse when the bike heats up and it seems more like a camchain noise. It's bad enough that it's more pronounced than the stock muffler sound. It's a whirring, ringing sound. I really think it might be camchain related. I like the thump of a four-stroke and don't mind some valve clicking but the whine of the other sound takes away some of the fun of riding. I think I might try new camchain tensioner springs, in case mine are worn, if such a thing happens (this bike is in great shape and is not ridden hard and has not had a great deal of use). It would be a fairly easy check. I will eventually get the bike in to compare the noise to another bike as work is slowing up and I'll post the results.

Really do like this bike-I converted the forks to KX and it rides much better (and looks nicer). It's power curve is just about perfect for my needs with only airbox and jetting changes.

Jim