Sign in to follow this  

Does this look like acceptable wear on this gear

Does this look like normal / acceptable wear on this drive gear. Or does it look like it may need replacing.

Thanks

Kevin

drivenGearWear01.jpg

i would replace it myself. but i am always wrong.

I would replace it, and the gearwheel wich dogs engage in this one probably too.

Because of the chamfered edges your shifting have to become more solid, otherwise you risk missing one and those edges will become more rounded-off, also because the hardened surface is damaged on those edges.

It will cost you some extra buck now but it saves you another case split anytime soon.

Good luck.

Replace, if it isn't popping out of gear and missing shifts it will soon. Like the earlier poster said check the gear that engages it and the shift fork for it. You've already gone this far, might as well go all the way.

i would replace it myself. but i am always wrong.

I knew I had a long lost brother! 👍

Thanks for the replys. I was hoping the concensus would be that it's acceptable wear. But, when I do a suspension, I don't take any shortcuts. I probably shouldn't shortcut on my bike's gearing.

Here is a pict of the matching drive gear. To me, that doesn't look that bad either, but that's probably because if I replace this set of gears, I'll have to replace two other sets as well.

driveGearWear01.jpg

personally i would leave it. i have a 2003 with alot of hours on the trans gears and the trans never poped out of gear once. still clicks through the gears fine. but that one is up to you.

The gears need replacing, I would have a good look through all your gears if any have rounded edges on the dog gears I would replace them as a set while you have the cases split, I just did mine and we couldn't get 5th gear because it was on back order so we chucked it back together for the state round and I got 8 hours out of it and now I need to do it all again.

Save yourself any issues by doing it right the first time they dont cost that much for the gears so just get it done.

Just my opinion but it's up to you..

Enjoy 👍

if it was mine id keep it since i have a low budget

but if u have the money replace it

The male side doesn't look that bad, but the female is toast. Id have a hard look that the shift fork and drum too.

Second look at the male gear...its got a tooth with a significant chip in it too...

You've got some stuff to buy...

as it has been said already, the gears are worn... i´ve worn out the gears on two crf 450s, and when the bike can no longer stay in gear, the wear isnt too much worse than what you have there..

now.. last time i had a worn gearbox, i took it to my trustworthy dealer.. he told me that he has had luck welding up these little camfered edges, using a tig welder...

i had this done to my gears, put it back together, and everything was perfect, atleast as long as i had the bike, and hopefully still is..

maybe you could try this cheap fix?