Quad for dirt bike

I'm thinking of trading my atv to a guy for an 06 yz450f with 31 hours. I've never ridden a four stroke dirt bike before and eventually want to start racing it. I'm not to worried about getting on the bike, i've owned a cr500 and a yz250 so handling the power won't be an issue.

Is there anything i should know about this year and model bike, i've been reading around and it seems the yz450 and the kx450f hold up the best, please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks for any info.

What is the quad value?

the resale value for a stock 06 raptor is right at $4000, mine has quite a few after market parts. I've had it listed on craiglist for a while at 4000 with no takers, not even a phone call or email to see what my bottom line would be. That's why i'm looking to trade

He has a high performance 4t quad......

raptors pistons/valves will last forever, they are torqy quads, but not pushed to their limits from the factory like 450's 👍

(however the 660's are known for eating 2nd gears and starters🤣)

I'm thinking of trading my atv to a guy for an 06 yz450f with 31 hours. I've never ridden a four stroke dirt bike before and eventually want to start racing it. I'm not to worried about getting on the bike, i've owned a cr500 and a yz250 so handling the power won't be an issue.

Is there anything i should know about this year and model bike, i've been reading around and it seems the yz450 and the kx450f hold up the best, please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks for any info.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just get that ATV? Hope it works out.

i thought raptors were not high performance like 450's are etc
Your right...

They aren't race quads.. But they still are fairly high performance. Lot's of torque, broad power band. But the engine itself is fairly reliable.. A lot easier and more reliable to put down good power with 660-686 cc's then it is with 450cc's.

But of course raptors have their problems, mainly the 660's, with their crap 2nd gears on the 2001's, and their horrible starter design which makes a $250 aftermarket starting gear a MUST. And the fact they are top heavy, and don't have a very good suspension from the factory. Plus for being 660cc's they don't produce a whole lot of power, but that's part of what keeps them reliable.

My good friend has two raptor 660's that I ride a lot and work on for him. One is a 2002 with an all stock motor with hundreds of hours on it! Only been through a couple clutches, a starter, carrier bearing, and head gasket. Then last season his 2nd gear took a crap after 8 years!.. His other is 721 stroker motor that we are currently rebuilding. Just pulled the top end off, and the piston still looks nearly new after 3 years of abuse 👍

IMO they are fun trail quads with loads of torque. Not the best race quad, but lots of displacement which makes producing good amount of power and staying very reliable an easy task.

/end me whoring out raptors, felt like posting up after riding my friends 660 today, and pulling the top end off his 720🤣

Well it's a done deal...that bike is great, kinda checked it over and rode it around a bit when i got home. I can't wait to get out and put a good day of riding on it. Gonna change the fluids and check it over a bit more this weekend then might take it out to nomads in sierra vista.