Sign in to follow this  

Kicking it... tell me its just me...

I am "trialing" a bike right now.. At the guys house, we rolled it out, cold, choked it, ran the kicker down slowly..then slowly returned it to the top and kicked her square... she fired right up... I rode her 30 seconds to my house and parked her... I then had some stuff to do for a few hours.

Came home, went through the same procedure and she fired right up...I revved her for about 30 seconds.. shut her down, then went at her with some windex and WD 40... about 1/2 hour later I decided to see if she'd still fire right up... Well...same procedure... 10 minutes later and a sore foot and leg...she dont start!!

What is up with that? I will tell you this, the gas was not off... the choke WAS off this time, but then I alternated it off and on several times... there were a time or two she wanted to fire... but didn't...

Is it just a starting routine I have to learn or is there any other good reasons she wont fire up?

Thanks!

Ernie

PS...she's an 00' and is real clean! Here's a pic!

deez1.jpg

I bought a 2001 and had the same exact problem. Fires up first kick when cold but after warmed up I'm out of breath and sore foot and calf muscle. I have asked around and got two different answers. The first was bad valve adjustment.I checked the valves and they were good so I moved on to the second which was clogged pilot jet. I have cleaned the Carb and am waiting for new jets to come in. I will let you know if this works. Parts wont be in until Monday. The Carb was really dirty and gummy.

check spark plug for gunk build up on the tip. if its filthy, jetting may be off

nice lookin' bike! are you using the manual compression release? I had the same problem-- intake valves were out of spec.

Ok So valves and jetting could be culprits I will talk to the owner and see what he says... We didn't talk too much about starting and such cause the dang thing fired right up...

Starting a half warm bike is the worst. Don't do what you did. Start it cold, start it hot, don't start it half warm. You now know why batteries and electric starters were invented.

i assume its what your doing, but my kicker drz always starts first kick when i start at tdc. but then again like the other guys are saying yur bike could be out of tune. after i rejeted mine it became easier to start and more reliable

I just went out in the garage to a cold bike...

gas on, choke on, compression relief, slowly push kicker down, then slowly bring back up, compression check re-engages... Good solid kick...she fires but dies within about 3 seconds...

Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick.... you get the idea... several times she "wanted" to fire, but wouldn't... choke on, choke off, etc....

Arrrgh. I dont think this bike has long for my future unless the current owner wants to get this issue squared away.. Then again...maybe I'm doing something wrong??

I had the same problem with mine when I bought it. I did some maintenance(changed oil, emptied out gas and put in new, checked valves) and it did great except when it got hot. I'm in the process cleaning and putting new pilot jet in the Carb.

(You now know why batteries and electric starters were invented.)
These are for old men and women! HAHA!

Good info...thanks...

Anyone else agree with the 'give the throttle a twist' deal..

Anyone with a kicker... describe your starting routine please... is it the same when hot as it is when cold (except for choke)?

Thanks all! Cant wait to get home from work and try and get this beast running so I can run around and feel the bike out some more!

Ernie

Pull the float bowl off the carb and see if its full of gummy fuel. It could be as simple as a dirty carb or stale fuel. If you can, pull the carb and clean it and make sure you have new fuel in the tank.

I will try that tonight... new few, clean carb.... I might just have to take some leave and go right now!! not gonna get too much work done thinking about the bike sitting in my garage all day anyways!

Starting routines? Tell me about them! Please!

Eight years ago i owned an yamaha ttr 600. If you ever tried to start it with "a little throttle twist" the kickstarter went down nicelly and then went up with such power that could really harm your knee. If the bike wouldn't start on the fifth kick, i turned the kill switch off, kicked two times, then kill switch on again and one kick was enough. Haven't tried it on a kick-drz though.

Every time I start mine cold I pull the choke, twist the throttle 2 times, pull in the decomp lever, kick 3 times, release the decomp lever and kick 1 time and it fires right up. When hot its a pain. hopefully it changes when I get my carb back together.

Every time I start mine cold I pull the choke, twist the throttle 2 times, pull in the decomp lever, kick 3 times, release the decomp lever and kick 1 time and it fires right up. When hot its a pain. hopefully it changes when I get my carb back together.

A friend of mine with an XR650R starts his in a similar manner. He always kicks it over 2 or 3 times with the decomp lever pulled in before releasing it. Once he does that his bike almost always starts on the first kick.

Will the bike actually "start" with the decomp lever pulled, or is that just a means to get the engine in some proper position to kick it over with full compression? Sorry for my ignorance...I really just dont know what the decomp lever/mechanism is even for??

I just searched this forum with the word, "Starting" and in less than about 4-5 months there were pages and pages of threads that were people pissed about hard starting DRZ's...

This is the Deezer forum guys...you guys love them... tell me how EASY YOUR DRZ is to start so I dont lose my enthusiasm with this bike!! (not just the one in my garage...but any of them!!)

Thanks all, sure appreciate it!

Ernie

Yep..and I think that "may" be what I look for:busted:! There's an 04 with Estart for sale for not much more than this one...but I know nothing about it as far as motor and such....

So I'll mention one more thing. The bike is "kickstanded" while I"m cranking on this thing... dont know if that matters or not...doesn't seem to when it DOES start...

After cranking and moving choke from off to on and back and forth, I DO get a nice little puddle of gas on the ground from the tubes hanging down under the bike... Does that indicate flooding or is that just normal??