Sign in to follow this  

04' KDX 220 Excellent Condition $$??

I haven't looked at this bike yet, as its about 300 miles from me, but the pics and the description from the guy make it sound MINT.... Yeah, its been dropped and has dents in the pipe...but heck..he's got an XTRA stock pipe laying there for it!

Asking is $2500... whatchya think? I know it varies geographically... so if it matters to you, this is Central Montana... I only see a KDX a week or so hit craigslist and most often they are 92-99's.... and are still asking 1500....

Thanks!!👍

Heres the bike...

kdx.jpg

The '03 I bought several months ago was also listed for $2500. KBB for the '03 was $2100. It too was in excellent shape, low hours, one almost unnoticable dent in the pipe - all original stock. It was clear as we were negotiating the kid really wanted the KBB $2100 as a min. I thought that was still a bit high & only brought $2K cash which was the top price I was willing to pay. He took the $2k.

Around here for avg. 220s with mods & inderminate use/maintenance most seem to ask ~$2k, a few for $1500. I've seen some ask as much as $3 - $3500, supposedly mint. 🤣 Recently, I saw a ~'91 asking $900. But 200/220s only show up every couple months, so that may be why our prices are a little higher. I also think Craigslist prices tend to be high anyway as people expect to be negotiated down.

That one looks pretty decent to me, but I dont have near the experience others here do. BTW, it looks like it might be plated. Bonus for that if it is, IMO.

Good luck! 👍

Unless the owner knows about the lack of grease and lubed up everything from day one, I can just about guarantee every rear suspension bearing will need replacing. Mileage won't matter; there's no grease, they get wet and sit for years, they will rust out.

As far as a 220 goes, those pistons are grenades waiting for the pin to be pulled. First thing you should do with any 220 is replace it.

220's are anemic stock. A pipe, carb and head work to get the bike to at least be able to get out of it's own way on anything other than flat to slightly hilly terrain will be required. Jetting helps, air box mods help, but in the end, the thing can't breath and doesn't have compression enough to really unleash the potential. A lighter spark arrester will make it a bit nicer too.

If it still has stock tires, you will need to replace them. They are for crap.

Forks need servicing and some mods to get them to do anything. Even a simple oil change here makes a big difference. Prepare to do a spring upgrade and oil maintenance on it.

I see bark busters but is there any other armor? A skid plate and, once you get a decent pipe, a pipe guard are basics for any dirt bike. If they are not included, better figure on that expense soon.

Is that a plate on the bike? In California, that is like gold. Not sure if it's that big a deal in Montana though.

From the frame rub, I'd say it's possible that it's a good bike and that you can just service it, buy some of the basic hop-ups and be on your way.

Good Luck!

How can you tell there is a lack of grease?

Yeah...I was thinking that same thing about the skid plates and such. The DRZ I'm looking at has skid plates, bark busters, hand guards on the busters, front disc guard, radiator protectors..etc...and is offered for $700 less than this bike...

I might just offer the guy the same thing, $1800..and see what he does. I really like this deezer and I really like the lack of blue smoke out the pipe....

Decisions, Decisions....

NADA for that bike is $1650, KBB is $2030, if in excellent shape which that one is not. I'm going to look at two 04's this weekend. One is a 220 and the other is a 200. From the pictures they look about the same shape wise but no dent in the pipe. He wants $3000 for both bikes. I have been looking for a KDX for a few months now and the asking price has been going down because they can't sell them at what they are asking for. I use jaxed.com and look at the KDX's from all over the USA. I see some of the same ones that were $2500 two months ago down around $2000 now. I would offer $1500 and go from there.

That seems like a good idea to me Tom... all he can do is counter, or hang up...or whatever!

Why do you think its not in "excellent" shape? Just because the pipe dents? He actually has a new, stock pipe to go with the bike...

I can tell you that if it's been sitting a while, the first good ride on it will most likely blow the suspension seals. Like skipro said about the plate, that would be a strong selling point....worth say an extra two hunge (IMO) compared to a similar bike.

I would get the KDX over the DRZ. When you pick the bike off the ground the weight difference if MASSIVE...approx. 70lb. difference. I lift my 220 on to the stand no problem. The DRZ, I use a foot lift.

For what it's worth, I gave $1500 for my 200 over a year ago. It was in the same basic condition. Low hours (still had the OEM tires on it), stock bike.

But like you say, it varies geographically.

Try to deal him down as much as possible. IMO, it's a good $800 to high, but that may just be what they go for there.

I was talking about Excellent shape by what NADA and Kelly Blue Book goes by. Which equals out to about "almost showroom condition".

"This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above." A quote from KBB.

But to answer your question, yes the pipe, frame paint ware. missing plastic for hand guards just from what I can see in the picture. Remember also that a dealer would only give trade-in value or less for the bike, and KBB lists trade-in value at $1375. I would have to look at the whole bike to give my opinion. I does look great.

*She looks good. I bought my 04 200 in New Mexico for $1800.00 in excellent shape. Just an FYI

I paid $2300 CAD for my '00 in about the same condition. Mine had a TON of mods though, that one is stock.

How can you tell there is a lack of grease?

Kawasaki has this jar of Vaseline at the factory since 1995 and uses a Q-tip to apply it to KDX suspension bearings. Or at least it seems like that is what they do. A factory stock bike should immediately be taken apart and lubed up right with water proof grease and lots of it. The bearings are made of some type of steel that loves to rust from just being washed. Imagine what a trail ride in water, mud, etc. will do.

Thanks for all the info/opinions...

Does the KDX not have zirks for lubing up all these bearings and joints and such? i have had this DRZ in my garage for a couple days now, "testing" it out... and its got several zirks that I"ve seen...

This Drz is also the old dirt model kicker, so its about 255, about 30# heavier than the KDX I believe???

I need to find a KDX to take a spin on. The DRZ is winning me over, but I have NOTHING to judge it by... Power wise...this DRZ is unreal... it just pulls and pulls... how will that KDX feel? does it have a "power band"... This DRZ really doesn't... it just has "power"..

THanks!

All I can say is ride a KDX in the woods, and you will never look at a DRZ again...

No grease zerks on the KDX. Will have to take everything off to grease it.

I've not riden either a DRZ, or a KDX 220, so no help there. But, I'd bet if you put that DRZ on the scales, it'll be a little more than 255#. My XR400 (comparible bike to an older DRZ) was closer to 280# with a full tank of gas. My KDX 200 is noticable lighter even than the non e-start '01 WR250F I had. But then, I've trimmed another 20# or so from it with the FMF pipe/silencer. Doesn't feel much (if any) heavier than my YZ250 did with full woods gear.

Unless the owner knows about the lack of grease and lubed up everything from day one, I can just about guarantee every rear suspension bearing will need replacing. Mileage won't matter; there's no grease, they get wet and sit for years, they will rust out.

As far as a 220 goes, those pistons are grenades waiting for the pin to be pulled. First thing you should do with any 220 is replace it.

220's are anemic stock. A pipe, carb and head work to get the bike to at least be able to get out of it's own way on anything other than flat to slightly hilly terrain will be required. Jetting helps, air box mods help, but in the end, the thing can't breath and doesn't have compression enough to really unleash the potential. A lighter spark arrester will make it a bit nicer too.

If it still has stock tires, you will need to replace them. They are for crap.

Forks need servicing and some mods to get them to do anything. Even a simple oil change here makes a big difference. Prepare to do a spring upgrade and oil maintenance on it.

I see bark busters but is there any other armor? A skid plate and, once you get a decent pipe, a pipe guard are basics for any dirt bike. If they are not included, better figure on that expense soon.

Is that a plate on the bike? In California, that is like gold. Not sure if it's that big a deal in Montana though.

From the frame rub, I'd say it's possible that it's a good bike and that you can just service it, buy some of the basic hop-ups and be on your way.

Good Luck!

Seems like a rather harsh assessment to me, at least till the end.

Actually, I would chalk up Skipro3's assessment as mostly spot-on when it comes to 95% of used bikes out there. But then again, the first thing I do when getting a used (or even new) bike is pulling everything apart and definite lack of maintenance is usually uncovered on most any used bikes out there. I clean every bearing and regrease all usable parts liberally. Suspension linkake, swingarm pivot, steering stem, & wheel bearings all get a thorough once-over. From little things like lubing all of the cables, to larger projects like rebuilding the suspension, disassembly of the motor & rebuilding, and even relacing the wheels (if needed) all are of the utmost importance, personally.

We all know that not everyone has the time and/or the know-how to do the tasks I listed above but if you are going to be out on long & arduous trail runs, some extra peace of mind can go a long way to making the experience more enjoyable.

Like my father always said - Nothing like having an intimate knowledge of your ride before you do just that. 👍

P.S. I could (and maybe should) have been much shorter in my synopsis like the one directly above. But then again, I do tend to get overly-detailed. Good or bad.