Sign in to follow this  

Waterproof DRZ??? Mine is not!!!

I have got a problem with my DRZ400SM.

When riding in heavy rain the engine is cutting off. The heavier the rain is the worse it gets.

I have tried to house the bike water while running and it runs fine. Once in a heavy rain I stopped at a servo, took the tank off and everything seems more or less dry. I too all the electrics apart and sprayed it with some "connector" spray (not sure what was the name) but no improvement either. Also it seems to me the engine is cutting off (just a little) at high revs when dry.

Any idea what might be causing this problem? Faulty (cracked) coil or something like that? The electrics is all stock.

Cheers

I don't know a damn thing about bikes but if you hose it down while running and nothing happens but you ride and it cuts off, that to me suggests that whatever the problem is, it's underneath.

George

Take the breather hoses up under the tank or up along side airbox. I have left only the hose from the bowl down and dont have any probs with water.

P4090130.jpg

P4090127.jpg

Have you tried running it at night in the dark to see if the HT circuit is arcing? Simple things first check the plug cap, plug and the drain hole in the head, the plug hole could be filling with water?

Dan

I had the same problem last summer. I thought it might be water running off the tank into the 3x3 hole. It only happened when the rain was pouring down hard.

I have changed the plug, the drain hole is OK. I have also tried to run it in dark, trying to arch the circuit but could not see anything.

I thought it is a dirt bike, so there should not be a problem with the breathers? I might try to run them somewhere else anyway.

Thanks guys

I doubt its the breathers unless you are running in water 2' deep! They can cause a prob if they "suck up" water which is why many route one from each side under the tank.

Have you tried spraying the electrics in WD40, if it improves you know its electric. You could have a coil prob but to be honest most Zs are fine in the wet.

I'm just spit-balling here! Could it be, water in the kill-switch, water in the kickstand switch, in the clutch switch (if you have them). Other than that my only advise is, spray everything electrical down with Teflon Dry Lube (the kind that's just Teflon and propellant not wax). It's not at all messy like WD-40.

About a year ago or so my KLX400R started going dead in the rain also. I moved the ignition switch from the handle bars to a vertical position to prevent the water from entering the keyhole. Problem solved,

About a year ago or so my KLX400R started going dead in the rain also. I moved the ignition switch from the handle bars to a vertical position to prevent the water from entering the keyhole. Problem solved,

I might try that.

Yes I pulled all (at least I think) electrics apart and sprayed with some kind of dry electric spray. Don't remember name anymore.

Keep the ideas coming.

It would probably be helpful to list all the things you have tried? Otherwise we are going to be suggesting things you have tried already.

Can you repeat the problem with a hose? if you can have you tried bypassing the sidestand switch? Thats a PITA that can go IMHO anyway!

I don't own a DRZ400, but - If the DRZ has a single float bowl vent hose that empties underneath the bike, your problem could be similar to what is common with KLR650's (and other bikes) - the "T-Mod" adds a second vent hose under the seat area, preventing water from temporarily plugging the atmospheric vent and causing erratic running/stalling in the wet. Quick, simple, cheap - might be worth a try...

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/tmod.html