Sign in to follow this  

cross over to harescrambles

Hello there fellow tters anyway i have been riding motocross for quite some time, just got back on the bike after two years of being in cognito per say lol, ok back to the point, after injuring my self i have decided to make a switch from motocross to try out hare scrambles.. what are somethings i can work on to get prepared for the switch? There arent too many woods around where im at that i can ride at, there are a little bit that i can ride at a local mx track. So what can i do and i also noticed the dead starts, what are some tips for getting a good start? i noticed that can play a huge role in the results you can get from some of the videos i have see...

thanks!!!!🤣👍

yep a quick start is a given.. but everything about getting a good start is making sure you kick quick and are off.. Just practice.. Also make sure your bike starts well(jetting, Tune,).. If you have a 4 stroke you are at a disadvantage since most don't start well in gear.. the other thing I can say is ride Long periods of time at the motocross track.. I used to ride 1.5 hrs solid or more sometimes on the motocross track getting ready for harescrambles.. Not a neck break pace but a steady fast pace like a harescramble.

If you want to get a good start and possibly get a holeshot, you'll have to figure

out how to make your bike start in second gear. It is almost crap shoot on a 4

stroke, so 2 strokes seem to have the advantage based on ease of starting.

As far as conditioning goes on an MX track, I'm a fan. Like the guy above stated,

I try to ride long motos for at least 30-45 minutes. I'm not pushing the limits; I'm

just trying to keep a decent, smooth pace without killing myself.

You'll find racing a 2.5 hour harescramble the guys who are the fastest are really

keeping a consistent speed, then actually putting in their fastest lap times towards

the end of the race (or at least that's what I see in my district).

Ride practice at a slow pace and pay attention to possible bottle neck areas and alternate lines. That alone will help you tons in your first race. I think a 2 stroke or something with e-start are definitely an advantage. I ride a CR250 and am relatively tall so I just make sure it's warmed up at the start so that it'll fire right up as I'm throwing my leg over the bike. I haven't tried starting in gear, that's something I may practice but to date my worst start was 3rd. Another thing I would suggest is to not try to win it in the first lap but again pay attention to the lines developing and passing areas. It's a long race and if you go full out from the start you're bound to get worn out and or crash. One more thing... don't worry too much about going out and winning it, just go out and have fun! Good luck.