Sign in to follow this  

1990 CR500 Rebuild With 2001 Pastics

I picked up this 1990 CR500 last year for $1200.00. I was going to use the engine for another MPSCR500AF build. The bike was in excellent condition so I decided to polish it up instead. I replaced the 1990 sub frame with a custom made aluminum 2001 sub frame, a 2001 air box, K&N air filter, 1991 CR500 Factory Connection tuned suspension, new Maxis tires, IMS Desert tank, 2001 seat, Pro Taper bars, hand guards and a set of 2001 plastics. I am still waiting for the new skid plate, FMF Turbine exhaust, Pro Moto Billet kickstand, frame guards, graphics and a few other small items to be delivered before I can finish it. 👍

http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae170/vegasdirtrider/1990%20CR500%20Rebuild/

Bike looks really good. Someday I will throw a leg over a 500...

Defenately a very nice looking bike conversion!

Very nice bike. Maybe somebody out there knows....I was going to do a later model airbox/subframe swap on my 89 CR500, like Vegasdirtrider did. Ive got all the parts, but the seat mount is narrower on the later model subframe I bought. Could this possibly NOT be for 500 but a 250? Arent the 250 Subframes narrower? Weird...my 500 seats wont fit it (width wise @ mounts). Im wondering what exactly I have?

Again, nice build

Edited by Coolidge

nice..

I built my CR500af.. I was going to send my frame to MPS but ended up doing a gen 3 cr250 frame.. love these bikes..

IMG00248-20100314-1708.jpg

Very nice bike. Maybe somebody out there knows....I was going to do a later model airbox/subframe swap on my 89 CR500, like Vegasdirtrider did. Ive got all the parts, but the seat mount is narrower on the later model subframe I bought. Could this possibly NOT be for 500 but a 250? Arent the 250 Subframes narrower? Weird...my 500 seats wont fit it (width wise @ mounts). Im wondering what exactly I have?

Again, nice build

I know the 1990 seat is different from the 91 -2001 year models. I think the 89 and 90 are of the same design. I didn't try to match the 1990 seat with the 2001 sub frame, I just bought a new 2001 seat. If anyone can use the 1989 sub frame, seat, tank and plastics from this bike send me a private email. I will give them to someone who can use them, just pay the shipping, no ebayers.

nice..

I built my CR500af.. I was going to send my frame to MPS but ended up doing a gen 3 cr250 frame.. love these bikes..

IMG00248-20100314-1708.jpg

Very Nice AF! I just missed a 2003 CRF450R roller for sale in Las Vegas, it sold for $800.00. George at MPS said he would mod the frame for $1,000.00. I finished my MPSCR500AF last month, George does nice work. 👍

I know the 1990 seat is different from the 91 -2001 year models. I think the 89 and 90 are of the same design. I didn't try to match the 1990 seat with the 2001 sub frame, I just bought a new 2001 seat. If anyone can use the 1989 sub frame, seat, tank and plastics from this bike send me a private email. I will give them to someone who can use them, just pay the shipping, no ebayers.

Thanks for reply. If you have a moment, can you measure seat rear mount width? I have what I thought was a later seat, and the width at rear mount is same. The sub bolted up fine to the 89 steel frame, but I need to figure the seat issue. thanks

Thanks for reply. If you have a moment, can you measure seat rear mount width? I have what I thought was a later seat, and the width at rear mount is same. The sub bolted up fine to the 89 steel frame, but I need to figure the seat issue. thanks

I am out of town until April 23rd., I will measure it for you when I return to Las Vegas.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll post pics of what Ive got too to get you an idea of what Im looking for. I bought the assy as late-90's CR500 sub/airbox assy to get the later plastic on the rear. I know bitd some guys swapped a 250 rear sub assy and it was supposedly 'slimmer'

Anyways, have a safe trip. Thanks in advance for your help

Here are a few shots to get the idea....

Airbox assy (was supposedly a late 90's CR500)

cr011.jpg

And a, what I thought was a 94 CR500 seat assy. You can see the seat is wider @ rear mount:

cr013.jpg

cr012.jpg

It bolts right up to frame. But I just need to figure out what seat it takes?