ATF question

yeah i was thinking of using 10w40, but i wanted to try out the atf

Yeah. If you have problems with your clutch or shifting then somethings broke and ATF will only be a band aid. The "F" in type F stands for fibers. They use microfibers in it for some reason.

Type 4 is apparently for use in Chrysler products.

Type F is for Ford automobiles and most people use the type F in their bike trannys.

I've been using the Mercon with excellent results for 7-8 years.

Would I try the Type 4? Probably, but I'm not you.

Booger2

DO NOT USE OIL!

It has molybednem and other friction agents to make your clutch slip MORE!

Not all of them. You do have to watch out for friction modifiers though. alot of people seem to have good success with rotella 15w40 and supertech 10w40. I would recommend the pennzoil standard 10w40. Good stuff and no clutch slippage.

I was having trouble with slipping clutches and a slipping rekluse and couldn't figure it out until I learned that they'd put molybednum in ALL AUTO OIL.

Now, rotella is more for diesels so I think they still have the zinc in them and no moly.

I trust no auto oil at all, now, and use amsoil for everything and while it's in warm temps and it's a 2s forum , I don't know if I'd be using a 15-40 in my polaris outlaw with a wet clutch as they recommend and warranty only0w-40 and that's what amsoil sells for the 4s ATV's and bikes, too, wet clutch or not.

In my 2s I use ATF-F, but for anything else, auto oil never again............well, maybe for the polaris ATP as it doesn't have a wet clutch, but I'll tell you this when I switched just for a time, the auto oil GETS BLACK in the ATP where the bike specific oils do not!

Same with my turbo VW which I put amsoil into as it stayed a normal color and other synthetics turned black, too!

Not all of them. You do have to watch out for friction modifiers though. alot of people seem to have good success with rotella 15w40 and supertech 10w40. I would recommend the pennzoil standard 10w40. Good stuff and no clutch slippage.

I put rotella 15w 40 in my bike this weekend with new clutches and it was pulling hard and the clutch action were very smooth. I will update when I take it for more riding.

I was having trouble with slipping clutches and a slipping rekluse and couldn't figure it out until I learned that they'd put molybednum in ALL AUTO OIL.

Now, rotella is more for diesels so I think they still have the zinc in them and no moly.

I trust no auto oil at all, now, and use amsoil for everything and while it's in warm temps and it's a 2s forum , I don't know if I'd be using a 15-40 in my polaris outlaw with a wet clutch as they recommend and warranty only0w-40 and that's what amsoil sells for the 4s ATV's and bikes, too, wet clutch or not.

In my 2s I use ATF-F, but for anything else, auto oil never again............well, maybe for the polaris ATP as it doesn't have a wet clutch, but I'll tell you this when I switched just for a time, the auto oil GETS BLACK in the ATP where the bike specific oils do not!

Same with my turbo VW which I put amsoil into as it stayed a normal color and other synthetics turned black, too!

I think for the average trail rider A standard 10w40 is fine providing it doesn't have any friction modoifiers. I was never a fan of the Amsoil, but if it works for ya then roll with it.?

I put rotella 15w 40 in my bike this weekend with new clutches and it was pulling hard and the clutch action were very smooth. I will update when I take it for more riding.

I'm not a fan of using diesel oils, but the guys in the hotter climates love it. They have too many detergents for me, much like ATF. Supposed to be lots of detergents in that stuff.

DO NOT USE OIL!

It has molybednem and other friction agents to make your clutch slip MORE!

Most manufacturers say to use 10w40 as long as it's not labelled energy conserving

I tried Pennzoil 10w40 in my old crf and it was to sticky. Couldn't get the clutch to disengage until fully warm. Switched back to Honda oil and worked fine. But I haven’t tried it in the RM so who knows. I've been running 75w Torco MTF-L since I got it and has worked awesome.