Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha trying to get the motor to turn over after fresh rebuild

I have an YFZ 05 motor that i rebuilt, turns out that i had a bad head. I put an 06 head on my motor with 06 cams, but i didnt come with the valves so i used my 05 valves and springs. I'm trying to turn it over to get it started but it hangs up on the intake cam. It will turn over on the exhaust side but it wont turn over past the intake cam lobes. Ive shimmed the valves i have good clearance. Ive taken the cams out and the motor turns freely but once the cams are back in it wont go past the intake cam. I can push the valves down manually, but once the cams are back in it acts like the springs are bottoming out and wont let it rotate all the way around. The cams are timed right and the valves arent hitting the piston. I don't know what else to do any Ideas:worthy: ??????? Please ask anything, i need to get this damn thing done:banghead: cause were going to the dunes next weekend.

Ahh I see know what you did, I am almost certain you did not install the intake valves correctly. The middle intake valve is shorter then the other two, if you mismatched them the intake valve will hit the top of the piston.

Does the bottom of the middle intake valve have a small ring inside of it?